New Classroom Reef Tank

MrsW_3rdGrade

Hi Everyone!!! I am a grade school teacher in Forest Grove, Oregon. My husband and I have had saltwater tanks for years off and on and I decided to get one for my classroom this year. I started with a $125 grant for a classroom pet to buy my tank, rock, salt etc. I got my 10 gallon tank setup about a week ago and stopped into Paradise Coral fish store today where the owner told me about the Tanks for Teachers program. I am super excited to provide my students with the opportunity to study biodiversity in the ocean and a platform to talk about adaptation. I am excited to be here and am looking for any and all information on potential funding/help with providing my students a reef tank in my classroom. 

D252BE0D-6CF1-48AB-983A-D45002CBA25C.jpeg

• Like 7

Wow! That is a beautiful aquarium.  A lot of your questions can be asked on this thread: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forum/62-tanks-for-teachers/

Although, I am sure @Flashy Fins will provide assistance no matter the post location. She is the Tanks for Teachers coordinator and does a really good job at it.

Also, I am unsure on the depth that Tanks for Teachers provides, but the thread demonstrates good examples for what we have done. I believe we are flexible to most schedules, live-stock, equipment and/or maintenance.

Edited by milesmiles902
  • Like 2

Welcome! The program typically sets a classroom up with a beginner tank and some livestock, and teachers often take it from there with the help of local shops and forum members, many of whom are happy to donate corals. Since you’re already set with a tank, the program could help you with other needed items. Do you have a refractometer? Test kits? A light?

Ten gallons is a small start and will limit your fish options, but I’m sure you’re aware of that since you’ve had salt tanks before. The kids can still get a lot of enjoyment out of what will fit in there. Corals and inverts will definitely take center stage. 

Glad to have you here! We love seeing tanks in classrooms, especially as they progress and blossom.

• Like 2