Wife Okayed a New Tank, She Didn't Say How Big

Higher Thinking

Just now, obrien.david.j said:

I've been watching your posts, every time you update.    How about another thread on status?    A reminder, which kits you've settled in on (which chemicals, which brands, is there a bkm for buying replacement chemicals)  How often you're measuring.  how easy is it to see the trended results, or do you have to manually create and overlay?  etc.

Ya, good thought, I need to do an update.

• Like 1

New calcium reactor is online and holding alk steady. 

I'll be honest, it was a freaking nightmare getting this thing operable. For starters, the pump that came with it (Sicce, so it should have reliable) was leaking. Long story short, troubleshooting it took way longer than it should have and I ultimately replaced it with another pump. Same pump model, just a physically different one. 

I then had a serious issue purging the air from the unit. I ultimately cut in a T-Valve in the recirc line to be able to off gas the built up air. Oof! Frustrating to say the least. 

HOWEVER, now that I have it online and figured out, it is awesome. It's dead silent and I can use a markedly lower volume of CO2 gas to maintain the desired pH. 

20210204_200318.jpg

20210204_200026.jpg

20210130_193506.jpg

The thing is freaking massive! The pictures don't do it justice. I was super (still kind of am) nervous about placing it on that stand. That's 3 full containers of ARM media in there!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

I then had a serious issue purging the air from the unit. I ultimately cut in a T-Valve in the recirc line to be able to off gas the built up air. Oof! Frustrating to say the least. 

The thing is freaking massive! The pictures don't do it justice. I was super (still kind of am) nervous about placing it on that stand. That's 3 full containers of ARM media in there!

Fantastic looking reactor.  I've got a bigger one that I need to upgrade to, a GEO 818.  Have been waiting for new display tank to mature enough to add a bunch of new corals - and then will need bigger reactor.