Wife Okayed a New Tank, She Didn't Say How Big

Higher Thinking

So sorry, glad it wasn't worse...  let me know if i can help with APEX alarms or anything.. 
Thanks man. That would assume of course that I have an apex [emoji2957]. I don't even have a pH monitor or controller, not even on the CaRx. Maybe someday I'll leap into modernity.... Someday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Thanks man. That would assume of course that I have an apex http://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2957.png. I don't even have a pH monitor or controller, not even on the CaRx. Maybe someday I'll leap into modernity.... Someday.

Frags then, frags!  I have frags :)

2 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Thanks man. That would assume of course that I have an apex http://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2957.png. I don't even have a pH monitor or controller, not even on the CaRx. Maybe someday I'll leap into modernity.... Someday.

Frags then, frags!  I have frags :)

Let me tempt you with this literal bad boy 🤣

http://pnwmas.org.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_09/C90C3463-7104-4C75-9BF1-3F16D8D977F7.thumb.jpeg.048b4aedaf04ff6d84b8009d9cc88835.jpeg

• Like 1

Haha, yeah I saw that. I'd definitely be down for a chunk of that someday.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to risk it all for a fish!

Jeff had some pre QT PBTs in stock. I was going back and forth on whether I wanted it. Then good ole@Bicyclebill strolls in and starts thinking the same thing. Long story short, we both bought one.

It's been eating nori like crazy every day so that's a good sign. I contemplated QT, but figured I'd roll the dice. Into the sump it went! Now hear me out!

A stable, low stress environment is certainly not a bad thing when trying to acclimate a sensitive fish. Also, and I could be completely wrong for even assuming it, but I have a massive UV sterilizer on the sump that has to be reducing total pathogens in the sump before they ever reach the display. Obviously that's mostly wishful thinking, but the UV sterilizer will certainly alleviate potential ich outbreaks. A couple of my fish have broken out before so I know it's in there regardless.

Anyway, here's to hoping for the best!

3482ee10e3e671310e8685bc8478e5bf.jpg169b81469660e259fce5d12c22e8a8a6.jpgb462cf8bd806f8276d3b550388aa87e0.jpgbb2a10469f4621a83436eb985f9c1be8.jpg

• Like 2

After years, I've finally put a cover on the reef tank. I don't think I used a cover on either of the previous two tanks. After a few casualties, including a pair of clowns I've had for about 8 years, I decided it's irresponsible to just keep not using a cover.

I actually like them. I can set tools, towels, and whatnot on them which is actually pretty dang convenient. However, I know that switching out power heads is going to be more of a pain that it already is and feeding is less convenient.

At any rate, here's how they turned out.
21b5c22bc6b0ca05385858894aa74bb3.jpg5270234d84cb737fa4634c8c5f62a533.jpgf828ba222175b684703d490acbc74955.jpg

Also, here's the latest update on the Gigas. It's a freaking beast!

59a1e52b03af0c6f87a6fb671096a099.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

The system continues to improve!

This time the upgrade comes in the way of an improved water change process. I've got my remote sump plumbed to the water change barrels in the garage. With this system I can pull water from the sump and pump it outside down the drain. Then I can flip some valves and pump new saltwater into the sump. I primarily do 50 gallon water changes at the sump. However, that's not ideal to siphon the actual display and clear detritus out of it. So this is my new gadget. 20201203_194931.jpg20201203_194947.jpg

Changing water straight from the display can be tricky because you can't tell exactly how much water you're pulling from the display. The display is large enough that you can't just eyeball how much to drain and refill. So I got this flow meter that tracks how much water goes through it. I installed quick disconnects so I can pull water from the display, track how many gallons have been drained, flip the meter, and fill up the exact number of gallons. Hopefully that all makes sense. 

Anyway, it's a pretty slick piece. The biggest drawback is the quick disconnects reduce the size of the flow so it takes a good amount of time to drain and refill 50 gallons. Now I can use the long hose and go around the tank and suck up all the detritus and not worry about draining too much or not enough. 

And just because it's time to show off Christmas trees, here's the wide angle shot from sump to tank. 20201203_195431.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well... It's been a long time coming.

Finally got myself an Apex a couple months ago. Guess you could say I'm behind on the times. Of course that required re-working all the wiring. I built myself this little console cabinet. 20201213_203002.jpg

20210204_200058.jpg

20210204_200124.jpg

I also have the Trident coming in pretty soon. That should continue making my life easier. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Finally got myself an Apex a couple months ago. 

I also have the Trident coming in pretty soon. That should continue making my life easier. 

Game Changers for me!   The Apex yes, but the Trident YES YES!   I'm still wishing they'd have Trident Rev2 for PO4 and NO3.  Then I'd be set.

Congrats.  And nice clean work

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Appreciate it. I seem to have it dialed in with what I want. I just need to mount a couple float switches differently as I don't like their current locations. Once the 🔱 comes though, that could be a different story!

Have you seen the float switch bracket I use?  It’s pretty convenient and allows easy adjustment.  It comes in different sizes, with or without included float switches.

51271583-62DD-41D3-84E8-05BFF9D883A0.jpeghttps://printed3d.parts/product/magnetic-extendable-layered-float-switch-holder/

30 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Have you seen the float switch bracket I use?  It’s pretty convenient and allows easy adjustment.  It comes in different sizes, with or without included float switches.

51271583-62DD-41D3-84E8-05BFF9D883A0.jpeghttps://printed3d.parts/product/magnetic-extendable-layered-float-switch-holder/

Nice! That might be just what I need. I'll check it out. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 11:32 AM, obrien.david.j said:

Game Changers for me!   The Apex yes, but the Trident YES YES!   I'm still wishing they'd have Trident Rev2 for PO4 and NO3.  Then I'd be set.

Congrats.  And nice clean work

The reefbot has been quite good!  Its an option for sure!

27 minutes ago, TheClark said:

The reefbot has been quite good!  Its an option for sure!

I've been watching your posts, every time you update.    How about another thread on status?    A reminder, which kits you've settled in on (which chemicals, which brands, is there a bkm for buying replacement chemicals)  How often you're measuring.  how easy is it to see the trended results, or do you have to manually create and overlay?  etc.

• Like 1