Wife Okayed a New Tank, She Didn't Say How Big

Higher Thinking

Hadn’t seen this thread, looks awesome! 

just wondering, What’s your plan for the sterilizer? I have a 57w aqua ultraviolet on my 180 and I was considering ditching it. Are you planning on running it 24/7?
I'll be running this 24/7. Any reason you are on the fence about yours? No observed benefit?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just wasn't sure that it was doing much and was feeling like I was at a decision point. I did reorder a bulb so I'll give it another year I guess. Right now its plumbed from a manifold off my return and then the water goes back into the return chamber of the sump. I'm debating putting it directly inline with one of my returns. 

What flow rate do you plan to send through the UV?  From your photos, it appears the UV will discharge back into the same sump chamber where it draws water.  Are you concerned at all about over-exposing beneficial life forms to the UV?  I have mine plumbed to draw water from the sump into the UV, then it goes straight to the display tank, so any pods or other good critters make it into the display without excessive harm.

Oh man, so much to unpack here...

The sterilizer actually calls for some pretty high flow while still maintaining sterilization levels of UV exposure. If I recall, the recommended flow for sterilization is 2,000-3,000 gallons per hour.

Yes, the UV feed and return are pretty close, all lumped together in the final chamber of the sump. Likely the UV will be looping through at a higher rate than the water actually goes through the sump. I have no reason to believe there would be any negative impact from over-sterilizing. I mean, that's the overall purpose... to sterilize.

The whole deal with pods is a non-issue for me. For one, there's no empirical evidence (that I've read) that actually proves the necessity that your tank be super stocked with them. Regardless, that brings up point two, if they're in your sump, they're in your tank already. Three, whether they go through the sterilizer once or multiple times, pretty sure they ain't gonna be alive afterwards. Doesn't matter either way, live pod or dead pod. If it's floating through the water, the fish will eat it.

I feel like there are a lot of things that catch on in the aquarium hobby that people do and emulate because someone else just decided it was the thing to do. There was never any actual real science or data backing it up. For example, the idea of 10-15x turnover through the sump or the idea that chaeto should be "tumbling." Two quick things that come to mind that have no basis in any actual PROVEN benefit. There are countless others. For me, the whole pods thing falls into that category. It seems more like a marketing campaign than hard science. I admit I could be completely wrong about all of this and I'm willing to change my opinion based on the research. If it's out there, let me know.

Thanks man!

Yeah, I just wasn't sure that it was doing much and was feeling like I was at a decision point. I did reorder a bulb so I'll give it another year I guess. Right now its plumbed from a manifold off my return and then the water goes back into the return chamber of the sump. I'm debating putting it directly inline with one of my returns. 

Have you inspected the quartz sleeve? If that thing gets too dirty, you're not going to get any UV benefits. Each setup is different and undoubtedly there are systems that may not benefit from the use of UV. For me, there's enough proof regarding their water clarification abilities that having one in use will be beneficial. I've had various little bacterial blooms from time to time with having started with all dry rock. Will that work itself out eventually? Surely, but why not speed it along? Also, I tend to roll the dice at times with QTing fish and there's no doubt the benefit a UV has on reducing overall water borne parasites.

• Thanks 1

The only reason I asked about the pods is due to my own personal setup.  I have a refugium packed with chaeto that's a major breeding ground for my pods, and they end up getting sucked through my UV before reaching the tank.  And since i have a mandarin goby that won't eat anything but live pods, I go out of my way to ensure they survive.

But I agree that there are a lot of trends not based on science.

• Like 1

The only reason I asked about the pods is due to my own personal setup.  I have a refugium packed with chaeto that's a major breeding ground for my pods, and they end up getting sucked through my UV before reaching the tank.  And since i have a mandarin goby that won't eat anything but live pods, I go out of my way to ensure they survive.
But I agree that there are a lot of trends not based on science.
Yeah, there's definitely something to be said about having to meet certain dietary requirements for certain fish. I do wonder though, how many make it alive out of the UV sterilizer. I also wonder if the actual pod count within the tank is directly correlated to the pod population in the sump or if the pod population can just maintain within the rock work in the display. Like I said, I just haven't seen reason enough to buy into it all.

Took some random top-down photos. They are just some Samsung phone photos with color temperature correction. Coral coloration has really been improving lately as everything gets situated and the lights get dialed in.

80bd45e1502c44356e289aad57021564.jpg

55056a5096e786c75b1e936612a30ac6.jpg

9518e7449a03d60e4eb66acfdbf06037.jpg

bb27d0be9ecfb61b8d67ad5473889363.jpg

78ccb068a187cd11020fe24d577ecc29.jpg

How does the song go? [emoji445]One of these things is not like the other...[emoji445] [emoji38][emoji16]

New Scopas tang grouping up with all the yellows.
518707fb43fcdad3067b631a9ac2a7a0.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

How does the song go? emoji445.pngOne of these things is not like the other...emoji445.pngemoji38.pngemoji16.png

New Scopas tang grouping up with all the yellows.
518707fb43fcdad3067b631a9ac2a7a0.jpg

Do we call this a School of Tangs, or a Shoal of Tangs.  Either way, I Like IT!   Someday, I'll have a house where it's appropriate to have a tank this big.  And then I'm having a big bunch of the same Genus too.   I'm a tang fan, but currently running one of each species so they dont fight.

18 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Took some random top-down photos. They are just some Samsung phone photos with color temperature correction. Coral coloration has really been improving lately as everything gets situated and the lights get dialed in.

Looking good!  I should be able to start getting frags again from you pretty soon at that rate 😄

• Like 1

Do we call this a School of Tangs, or a Shoal of Tangs.  Either way, I Like IT!   Someday, I'll have a house where it's appropriate to have a tank this big.  And then I'm having a big bunch of the same Genus too.   I'm a tang fan, but currently running one of each species so they dont fight.

Never let the house size determine your tank size. Sometimes you just need to get more creative [emoji6][emoji38]

At any rate, shoal is probably more accurate, and even then it's a bit of a stretch.

Looking good!  I should be able to start getting frags again from you pretty soon at that rate [emoji1]
Hopefully sooner than later. I could definitely get away with it now, but I've resisted the urge in order to get the tank filled in better. So much space it's tough to avoid it looking so empty. Maybe it'll look full in 2 or 3 years....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Hopefully sooner than later. I could definitely get away with it now, but I've resisted the urge in order to get the tank filled in better. So much space it's tough to avoid it looking so empty. Maybe it'll look full in 2 or 3 years....

Haha - no doubt that is a lot of space but the growth is impressive!

15 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Never let the house size determine your tank size. Sometimes you just need to get more creative emoji6.pngemoji38.png

At any rate, shoal is probably more accurate, and even then it's a bit of a stretch.

It's not about size of the house.   It's about the room I want the tank in.   I once put a tank in a room well away from the action of the house.   I ignore it more often, and surely didn't enjoy it as much.    

I'm going to grow my display tank, but just cant do the size & orientation I'd like.    Love the Shoal.

• Like 1

I decided to take the opportunity to actually utilize my phone's water resistant capabilities and took some underwater shots. Cell phone technology has certainly come a long way.... It's crazy. You can't really use the screen underwater, but you can still operate the physical buttons. So pictures are a breeze. I tried taking pictures with different color settings with the lights. Anyway, here's some shots. Still learning the color correction and not making them look unrealistic. They're pretty accurate. 50aeef1defdb80b8cad0e9dd3fd5aa6a.jpg9ab7aad653756861d7175aca3e4816e6.jpg31f22a44048828bf8b0e739b11a876e0.jpg0584fb9b603bb884a262537ebe5928db.jpgf1f20591bd7c2ba5c968c3238c23a643.jpge15bde018c19e23ed7654943cc94c60d.jpgb11d0b6dad858bcf21b32e5130f35c2a.jpgbb767f3b44635d9f86f6b591ef3886b5.jpg

• Like 6

Upscales Micro in the 2nd to last pic or maybe reef ready grape juice?

I always liked both those pieces- looking good!

Thanks man, I honestly don't know the names of many pieces I have. Out of 40 corals, I think I know the name of two. I guess most don't even have names.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing one of the DJ power strips. Like most things, once it goes on I immediately wonder why it took me so long to just do it. I think it turned out pretty well. The strips only handle 15 Amps each so I'll need to do some math to determine if I'm teaching close to that threshold. I bought another one just in case. The outlet itself is 20Amp. 

Also, just checked my little app log and realized I haven't checked my alkalinity in 11 days. I should probably do that today. 😬😳

20200705_190600.jpg

20200705_190622.jpg

• Like 3

Added a new piece from CNC, @CuttleFishandCoral. I didn't really plan on buying anything at the time (and certainly not an LPS), but here we are.

There are some super solid items at the shop right now, as per usual. A wish the photo paid justice to the size of this Elegance Coral. It's massive! It's probably 9x7 inches when opened up. de829cff342c8abc64597298afbabff3.jpgb8a2be434d3e0eb50d145698c7914aaf.jpg1fa60ab83d4c676cabb3b18817f96a75.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Yeah that other clam is the Gigas. It's had some serious growth the last few months. It's off center a little from the light as compared to the other side, but it's still at around 600. It's wide open and throwing down some serious shell growth. I imagine the mantle will darken a little bit as I drop the overall intensity about 10% over the next couple weeks. Hopefully the growth will continue. wide78f0e2184b8e0e74a290f69b1e8af05f.jpg0730dfa5d1e4cab8e2106f843dd98ee9.jpg
This is 4 months of growth. Notice the thick shell line at about the 1.5 inch mark. That line shows the overall increase.

The Gigas clam continues it's solid growth. This thing just keeps throwing out mad shell growth. Here's a few photos of all the current clams. 3d3d16fa01b4f6ca37b829547dbb3aba.jpgbc45fa59ca62455690b8f9a91f665f10.jpg7583de9551aef868b5f55629aef2e365.jpg5da7e310a138d4c3d578224b3b074516.jpg

There has been a slight setback. My solenoid failed and wouldn't open. Took me a day or so to realize I wasn't pumping any gas. Alk dropped a solid point. Since then I've had to work to keep alk within .1 of the target. I've lost a couple of the mariculture pieces due to STN so that sucks. Hopefully I'll get it all dailed back in and keep this crazy growth going.