Wife Okayed a New Tank, She Didn't Say How Big

Higher Thinking

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and got a couple bags of Caribsea live sand from Jeff to build out a refugium area in the sump. Going bare bottom, I don't really have anywhere to keep a sand sifting goby and pistol shrimp, which I really wanted.

With the refugium area started, I got myself my shrimp and goby. Over the last couple weeks, the shrimp has built an interesting structure. It's pretty simple and the picture doesn't do it justice, but the shrimp has built up all four sides of the enclosure. It's like a mini pyramid. 28e37879e0a3c06c619927b074ad6b4e.jpge46692e232d78e08e016e61a05f251ab.jpg1824d8f79a0842b1e4bbc537e445e39c.jpg071b66f9a496c06d2db5e9ebda2013fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

With the addition of a bunch of coral the last month, I had to put the calcium reactor online. There's no room on the floor in the closet so the only place to go is up. I used brackets and some boards to create a place to mount the reactor. It's just a makeshift platform for now. Once I find the time, I'll cut down and paint a nice looking board to mount on the brackets. 641f17fd3eaeed5920df91e7892763a2.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your new coral is a Trachyphyllia, not a Lobophyllia.  My understanding is that Lobo's have a bunch of enclosed rings, but Trachy's are more of a wavy structure enclosing a central core.
Lobo:
293375215_ScreenShot2019-10-07at9_27_13PM.png.d0c9469337a0ccd98f9a41a06bba00fa.png
Trachy:
342494281_ScreenShot2019-10-07at9_27_59PM.png.34d08128f04f143f89b68061ac72aedf.png
I'll let my man@badxgillen speak to it, but I'm definitely leaning towards lobo. There are some differences between the them and trachys of course, but I don't believe it's as simple as closed or open form. I'm not totally sure of the differentiation and the info online seems lacking.

I have also been looking at getting a media reactor to run carbon, possibly gfo if necessary.

Dang, those things are expensive... I've been looking all over and debating the pros/cons of each. Then I suddenly remembered at one point I had a gift certificate for Avast Marine I had won at a meeting a long time ago. I started digging through a drawer and sure enough, there it was. $25 bucks, issued February 2016! Surely this would be expired, right?

I hopped onto Avast's website and they happened to be having a 10% percent off sale. I put the certificate code in and it was valid! So with the gift certificate, sale price, and the fact they are sponsors, I went with them for the reactor. I got the MR16, holds 16 cups of media! It's nice that it comes with union connections for easy maintenance. 6f268acfe16f7d0923b11ab2bf003f0b.jpg

• Like 3

Hey, you too have a trusty K2R Calcium Reactor!   I got mine in the 90's, and has been in use continuously.   My flow meter became useless early on, and I took mine out too.   The bubble counter also gave up the ghost a few years ago, thus the new one zip tied to the side.

I'm planning a bigger system and just acquired a Geo CR818.   So K2R will get decommissioned at that point.  Until then, it keep melting rock daily.

IMG_2663.JPG

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Hey, you too have a trusty K2R Calcium Reactor!   I got mine in the 90's, and has been in use continuously.   My flow meter became useless early on, and I took mine out too.   The bubble counter also gave up the ghost a few years ago, thus the new one zip tied to the side.

I'm planning a bigger system and just acquired a Geo CR818.   So K2R will get decommissioned at that point.  Until then, it keep melting rock daily.

IMG_2663.JPG

Yeah I have removed the flow meter and bubble counter as well. I just use a bubble counter directly on the regulator. Although to be honest, it hasn't had enough fluid to actually do anything. I should probably look into that at some point.  :)

Nice acquisition on the GEO unit.  I will undoubtedly upgrade CaRx at some point, but there are still far more pressing pieces of equipment I need to buy (more circulation pumps, lights, backup return pump, the list goes on forever). Good luck on the future upgrade!

5 hours ago, badxgillen said:

Lobophylia Hemprichii and Corymbosa usually has separate coralites/polyps, but Valenciennes and Lobo.H. can also have a meandering version similar to a wall hammer.

So what is it then :laugh:

I like simple words....................;)

• Like 1

So I've always used an old Azoo regulator with a modified post body kit on my calcium reactor. As you can see from the earlier pic, it had a triple needle valve and triple bubble counter on it. I used to use this to pump CO2 to multiple planted freshwater tanks.

I've finally swapped it out for a Reef Fanatic regulator I've been using on my planted tank in my bedroom for the last 8 years. I think the aesthetics of the Reef Fanatic regulator are much better than the Azoo. Now I can just use the Azoo on the planted tank in my bedroom where aesthetics are a non-issue. 48cae445d066c993a0218df08271482a.jpg

Well that joy was short lived [emoji22]. Came home to no crab on the urchin. That sucks! I acclimated it slowly so I don't think it was that. One possibility is the Humuhumu. I was thinking those spines would keep it away, but no way to know for sure.

I ended up having to move the urchin into the sump. My Cuban hogfish was actually attacking it pretty badly. The fish would bite at it and tank the spines right off it. He would even eat some of them which I thought was pretty strange. There was nothing the urchin could do but try and crawl under some rocks.

After witnessing that, I can only assume the hogfish was responsible for killing the crab. So now the urchin has to take refuge in the sump. I may look to get rid of the hogfish.

• Like 1