Happy father's day... Introducing ReeFi Daddy Long Legs

danlu_gt

Happy father's day everyone!

I think it's a great day to introduce ReeFi Daddy Longlegs. I think I might need to trademark this. Hehe

1 more hour till the 4th leg is done.8b7fc2e05246b11f19c9e0b1b4118253.jpg064a480b922436cb3d7042839b348f89.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by danlu_gt
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Ha, come to my house. They are everywhere in the rhododendron forest I have. I get some pretty big ones. And my favorite, the brown recluse, at least that's what they look like. 

may be giant house spider they look very similar. I though I had brown recluse at my old place but after research I found they were just giant house spiders. 

11 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

This is what I was referencing. I seen a lot of these growing up in the South but haven't seen them here.2fc771c3b911f919d89d305cba247d6a.jpg

Oh they are around!  Just haven't been looking in the right places 😀  Those look really nice on your new units. Are you planning on having some different options for other mounting orientations or just stick with these for now?

Oh they are around!  Just haven't been looking in the right places [emoji3]  Those look really nice on your new units. Are you planning on having some different options for other mounting orientations or just stick with these for now?
Right now, my lights came with wire hanging kits.

The prototype mounting is limited to my 3D printer bed size. For my tank size, I can't do different orientation with single continuous printed leg. I'm playing with different designs and will test out how sturdy multiple part expandable legs/mount before mass production. Because plastic injection tooling will cost over $15K, I may start with just an adapter to fit on existing mounts in the market. One of the problem with adaptor to existing 3rd party mount is that my lights are much heavier built from large mirror glass panel, higher performance cooling system, to stainless steel frame. I'm also considering extruded aluminum mounts.

• Like 2

may be giant house spider they look very similar. I though I had brown recluse at my old place but after research I found they were just giant house spiders. 
Hobo spiders I think? When we lived in Forest Grove they were in our wood pile and started migrating into the garage and then house. Had to spend a small fortune to have an exterminator wipe them out, kids were babies then so I didn't like the thought of those huge spiders everywhere.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TaylorW said:

Hobo spiders I think? When we lived in Forest Grove they were in our wood pile and started migrating into the garage and then house. Had to spend a small fortune to have an exterminator wipe them out, kids were babies then so I didn't like the thought of those huge spiders everywhere.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

thank you yes I was confusing the hobo with the recluse. 

We had to eradicate a bunch of hobo spiders in our new house.  I got the big red bag of powdered spider killer and sprinkled it on the perimeter of the entire property a couple times in the spring.  That helped a lot but the hobo's were still in the house 

The trick inside is sticky traps placed parallel along walls they travel.  I put 5-10 of these traps around the garage walls because that's where they were living mainly.  It took a couple months but they're all gone and haven't come back.  Seriously be careful with these.  I had a friend in college that I just graduated with that lost his dad to a hobo bite last year. 

Right now, my lights came with wire hanging kits.

The prototype mounting is limited to my 3D printer bed size. For my tank size, I can't do different orientation with single continuous printed leg. I'm playing with different designs and will test out how sturdy multiple part expandable legs/mount before mass production. Because plastic injection tooling will cost over $15K, I may start with just an adapter to fit on existing mounts in the market. One of the problem with adaptor to existing 3rd party mount is that my lights are much heavier built from large mirror glass panel, higher performance cooling system, to stainless steel frame. I'm also considering extruded aluminum mounts.

Last night when I was taking the light on and off, I accidentally left it up with just one leg mount. To my surprise, it actually holds. I think I might have more options. Going to modify the design to just mount on the back side of the tank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

Last night when I was taking the light on and off, I accidentally left it up with just one leg mount. To my surprise, it actually holds. I think I might have more options. Going to modify the design to just mount on the back side of the tank.

Good to hear!  This would open up some options for placement (although front to back depth would still be a trick).

21 hours ago, albertareef said:

Good to hear!  This would open up some options for placement (although front to back depth would still be a trick).

Yes, front to back depth would be a problem for 3D continuous print since my printer bed is 10"x8"x8".  I tried printing it hanging in 3D space to get more length from diagonal xyz but need to print with supports, otherwise, the overhangs becomes stringy.  Any case, I think I have an idea for how I want to make an universal mount.

Curious, how many of you would buy tank mount vs using included wire hanging kit?  BRS has various mounts ranging from $80 and upward.  The actually material for the mount is very inexpensive but initial tooling will cost a lot.  Also, shipping will be a big factor since these will not stack easily and will have to pay for dimensional weight vs actual weight.  I estimate I would need to sell 300 mounts to break even at $50 if I sell directly to customer.  Maybe 500+ units if I sell wholesale to local stores and online stores.

Below is the what the include wiring kit looks like:

20190617_180328-e1560970580382-768x1024.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just tested another prototype mount with extandable parts for tanks 18"-36" front to back. This seems to work pretty well but put a lot of torque on the tank. I estimate tank need to have at least 10mm glass thickness.6fb16fea96abd4e162e848cb5ef55b98.jpg

• Like 2