Participating in the free microbiome analysis (PNWMAS April meeting)

EMeyer

Hi all,

It was great meeting a bunch of you at today's PNWMAS meeting at The Premium Aquarium. Thanks again to Garrett, Robert, and Andy for giving me the chance to introduce the company and recruit your participation in this project. 

I'm making this post as a central place to distribute information about the free microbiome analysis kits many of you received today. I've also sent this information in an email. If you got one of these kits, here are the next steps:

1. Register an account at https://aquabiomics.com/login/

2. Order a free "Snapshot" analysis (analysis of a single sample) at https://aquabiomics.com/order-snapshot/ . This will enable me to automatically send you a correctly addressed prepaid shipping envelope. 

Important: during checkout, make sure to enter the coupon code I sent by email. This will make it free, so you don't even need to enter financial info. 

3. Sample your aquarium using the kit I gave you today. There are instructions in the kit, and at https://aquabiomics.com/sampling-instructions/

4. Register your sample in the online database, at https://aquabiomics.com/register-sample/

5. When your prepaid shipping envelope arrives in the mail, send your sample back to me by mail and I will contact you when the results are ready. 

Thank you again for participating in this project. I'll post updates here as it develops. 

-Eli

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Got the snapshot ordered yesterday. Do we just wait for a a return envelope to be shipped to us? And should we wait to obtain a sterile culture till we have the envelope to ship everything in? @EMeyer

You can sample anytime you like, and store the sample in the sterile sample bag until the shipping envelope arrives. The fixed samples are fine for a few days at room temperature. For longer storage, a standard household freezer is fine (usually ~ -10 to -20­°C). 

I mailed your shipping envelope out today. (This is a useful test of my shipping system, and so far it looks like its working with automated labels and tracking numbers etc. I'll be grateful to hear any feedback on this stuff. I am an e-commerce noob)

I've seen 3 orders so far.. if anyone else is having any difficulties with the website or if you got a sample kit but not an email, please don't hesitate to contact me.

-Eli

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

You can sample anytime you like, and store the sample in the sterile sample bag until the shipping envelope arrives. The fixed samples are fine for a few days at room temperature. For longer storage, a standard household freezer is fine (usually ~ -10 to -20­°C). 

I mailed your shipping envelope out today. (This is a useful test of my shipping system, and so far it looks like its working with automated labels and tracking numbers etc. I'll be grateful to hear any feedback on this stuff. I am an e-commerce noob)

I've seen 3 orders so far.. if anyone else is having any difficulties with the website or if you got a sample kit but not an email, please don't hesitate to contact me.

-Eli

Hey Eli - I picked up a kit but did not get an email (first name on the list).  Let me know if you want me to send that to you in a PM or something.  Thanks!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, EMeyer said:

Thanks - yeah, you were on the "I misread your email address list". I tracked down correct addresses and resent the emails just now, so please let me know if you don't get it soon. 

Just came through so looks like we’re good. Thanks again!

Hi all,

I've received 4 orders and mailed you shipping envelopes (Greg, Nate, Eric, and Mike). Everyone else who received a sampling kit, please register and place a (free!) order when you have a chance, or message me if you are having any difficulties. 

Thanks again,

-Eli

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

@EMeyer Any chance I can get in on the free analysis project?  I missed the meeting because I was out of the country on vacation, but it's something I'm definitely interested in.

Sure, message me your email address and I'll send you details for a kit. In your case, I'll also ship the kit itself (the others already received their kits). 

• Like 1

Got my sample sent out today. The kit seemed daily easy to do, the only thing that I noticed for someone who didn't watch how the kit was supposed to be used was that the paper instructions weren't very clear as to weather or not to keep the small amount of ethyl alcohol and send that or to send the filter disk. Also, towards the end of pushing the tank water through, it got very hard to push water through which I guess means that the filter was just full with hopefully bacteria. The test was done on Saturday (5/4/2019), and kept in a freezer at -26°F for approximately 44 hours then removed and sent via USPS at 1pm today (5/6/2019).

Just stuck mine in the mail.  I noticed that the submit function on the sample registration page was still showing an in progress status last night so hopefully that actually made it through (forgot to check this morning).  I saw it had a warning about possibly taking a while but I hadn't attached a photo so was expecting it to be quicker.

• 1 month later...