Lexinverts' Reefer XXL 750

Lexinverts

Following up on my previous post regarding the Isol8 trace element dosing by Reef Blueprint, I just got my latest chemistry report from Oceamo. A cool update is that now they offer a Mass Spec service as an option rather than ICP. Dr. Christoph Denk upgraded this report to MS for free. Thanks, Christoph! These MS water tests are available in North America from @EMeyer at www.aquabiomics.com

Ostensibly, Mass Spec means that they are more able to accurately detect trace elements. Here's my report after about a month of dosing trace elements with Isol8. Generally things look pretty good, with a few exceptions. Given I have only been using the Isol8 for 3 weeks prior to the report, I don't really know whether they will even out eventually. The other unknown is that my previous Oceamo reports have all been ICP, which is not supposed to be as accurate as MS...so comparing previous reports to this one is like apples and oranges.

I think the high Iodine is due to me overdosing the ATI Iodine supplement before I switched to the Isol8. I'm going to run another test soon to be sure.

Here's what Christoph says about the difference between standard ICP and Mass Spec:

"Using the Oceamo ICP-MS upgrade your sample will be analyzed using ICP-MS (instead of ICP-OES). ICP-MS (ICP with mass spectrometry) is by orders of magnitude more sensitive compared to ICP-OES, and allows up to 10.000-fold lower limits of detection.

This brings the following advantages:

-  Optimum trace element concentrations are often below the limit of detection in ICP-OES analysis. Important trace elements can be measured with ICP-MS in the relevant concentration range in a reliable way. Those ultra-traces include Selenium, Chromium, Copper, Cobalt and Nickel.

- Toxic heavy metals (like Mercury, Thallium, Bismuth, Lead, Thorium, Uranium, ...) can be detected at very low concentrations with ICP-MS (allowing counter-acting long before issues in your reef inhabitants appear)

- ICP-MS allows to measure additional elements which can play a role in aquarium husbandry (like Caesium, Tellurium, Cer and Ruthenium)."

OS_MS.png

OS_MS_2.png

OS_MS_3.png

• Like 2

Good information Andy, I may have stumbled in at the right time it seems, for me at least.

Question on the Reef Blueprint, Looks like you buy the elements from them and dose accordingly based on the results from Aqua?

I cant find anything regarding the "MS upgraded" 

I do a very similar process using Reefers Moonshine and the calculator Andre provides that spells out what to dose based on tank volume and results from the ICP. I like the part with the trace elements Aqua provided (which as you mentioned ICP doesn't provide), I dose near all those trace daily (blindly in a sense) based on the moonshine calculator. Id love to see where my actual trace levels are but cant find that MS option on Aquas site.  

Tanks looks great ( I suppose I should mention that huh LOL) Its also nice to see I'm not alone in the iodine overdose, I was consistently in the .14ug/l range month after month, not this time though BOOM 168ug/l 😝 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, reefnjunkie said:

Good information Andy, I may have stumbled in at the right time it seems, for me at least.

Question on the Reef Blueprint, Looks like you buy the elements from them and dose accordingly based on the results from Aqua?

I cant find anything regarding the "MS upgraded" 

I do a very similar process using Reefers Moonshine and the calculator Andre provides that spells out what to dose based on tank volume and results from the ICP. I like the part with the trace elements Aqua provided (which as you mentioned ICP doesn't provide), I dose near all those trace daily (blindly in a sense) based on the moonshine calculator. Id love to see where my actual trace levels are but cant find that MS option on Aquas site.  

Tanks looks great ( I suppose I should mention that huh LOL) Its also nice to see I'm not alone in the iodine overdose, I was consistently in the .14ug/l range month after month, not this time though BOOM 168ug/l 😝 

Hi Brad,

Thanks! Now, time for you to show some pictures of your tanks 😀!

Aquabiomics.com @EMeyer sells the OCEAMO Icp tests. The Mass spec service is brand new, so it is not even available on the Aquabiomics website yet. You need to get a standard ICP test and then email Christoph (office@oceamo.at) and request the Mass spec upgrade. It will be an additional charge but I am not sure how much yet.

The Reefblueprint folks also offer their own standard ICP test, but I am not sure how reliable that one is yet. (https://www.aquaholicaquaculture.com/store/p102/ICP-Test.html)

I'm still experimenting with the ReefBlueprint Isol8 trace elements. I was previously dosing several trace elements separately using the ATI supplements based on the OCEAMO reports. However, juggling all of those bottles every day is kind of complicated and I am intrigued by the single dose possibilities offered by the Isol8 supplements. I'm going to keep doing it and then test again in a few weeks with the OCEAMO ICP Mass spec test. The Mass spec test is the best for trace elements, since it has a much lower limit of detection than standard ICP and can detect lost of stuff that ICP cannot.

If this doesn't work out, I might give Andre's system a try. I have been following him for quite a while, and he has lots of adherents that are having good success!

Yup, that Iodine surprised me. I ordered the Salifert Iodine test right after I saw that report.

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

Looking great Andy!  I will need to go back through here and get caught up on the trace element discussion - sounds really promising.  Would be awesome if we could get to the point where regular Mass Spec analysis was something that was inexpensive/reliable enough to just have as an ongoing part of one's maintenance routine.  Not only would that help with the trace element supplementation but the much earlier warning on heavy metals would be awesome (don't ask).

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:52 AM, Lexinverts said:

Hi Brad,

Thanks! Now, time for you to show some pictures of your tanks 😀!

Aquabiomics.com @EMeyer sells the OCEAMO Icp tests. The Mass spec service is brand new, so it is not even available on the Aquabiomics website yet. You need to get a standard ICP test and then email Christoph (office@oceamo.at) and request the Mass spec upgrade. It will be an additional charge but I am not sure how much yet.

The Reefblueprint folks also offer their own standard ICP test, but I am not sure how reliable that one is yet. (https://www.aquaholicaquaculture.com/store/p102/ICP-Test.html)

I'm still experimenting with the ReefBlueprint Isol8 trace elements. I was previously dosing several trace elements separately using the ATI supplements based on the OCEAMO reports. However, juggling all of those bottles every day is kind of complicated and I am intrigued by the single dose possibilities offered by the Isol8 supplements. I'm going to keep doing it and then test again in a few weeks with the OCEAMO ICP Mass spec test. The Mass spec test is the best for trace elements, since it has a much lower limit of detection than standard ICP and can detect lost of stuff that ICP cannot.

If this doesn't work out, I might give Andre's system a try. I have been following him for quite a while, and he has lots of adherents that are having good success!

Yup, that Iodine surprised me. I ordered the Salifert Iodine test right after I saw that report.

Cheers,

Andy

My tanks almost picture worthy.

Thank you for the info, I did contact them.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I have been MIA recently. It has been a killer spring at work.

The tank is doing fantastic. The Acropora continue to grow like crazy.

I was fortunate to be able to find some used ReeFi Unos and I added a second row in the back. As you can see in the previous posts in this thread, the corals did well with 5 Unos over my ReeferXXL 750, but I wasn't getting the coverage I wanted along the back of the tank. And by adding a second row, I could also turn the channels way down.

With the channels turned down to 60% and the two rows, the coverage I am getting is amazing. So far the corals are enjoying the new conditions.

PXL_20220512_161058644.jpg

PXL_20220514_172123607.jpg

PXL_20220514_172109728.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

That's one nice looking tank.  I've said it before, I'm a Stag Fan and yours look great.   Maybe we need a version of the tank shots, with labels naming the corals.  :)   

BTW, is that a little cowry I see at the bottom of one of the close up shots.  beautiful

Yes, that's a money cowrie. I should try putting names on a photo. That would be fun!

• 2 months later...