Klahre House School Tank updates 3/22/19

Hi guys!

Things are really coming along in the classroom tank!  Massive thanks to @Flashy Fins and @Gumby for coming out this weekend to help set up the RODI and bring us some super cool corals!  The boys also chose some fish this week and I made a trip into the big city to get them-  here is a pic of the crew:

426007218_fish1.thumb.jpg.5d66191c3c4a9d7122b811527003dc7c.jpg

So far, so good, all the inhabitants seem to be getting along.  The firefish is afraid of the current from the powerheads and only comes out when they are turned off, but the clowns have been very sociable.  We also got a cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp, and the boys made quick work of naming everyone.  They are super stoked about the tank, and will sit in front of it for great lengths of time "tank gazing" and arguing over who gets to feed the fish.  As soon as I get more confident with the tank's maintenance, the real lessons will begin and the guys will learn about the tank ecosystem and take over its maintenance.

1946280181_fish3.jpg.72280cdccfb03263c0e235464cfea842.jpg

970198040_fish2.jpg.93a3c6c44ae656b5dba49a13f1be1149.jpg

So many thanks to all the club members who have supported Tanks for Teachers in one way or another, your generosity is inspiring the reefers of the future!  

• Like 9

Thanks for sharing. I have a special place in my heart for that tank. It originally came from s fellow reefer almost ten years ago. We set it up at Pioneer school in SE Portland a special needs school.  It then went to the Boys and Girls club until that tank was upgraded. Glad to see it is still around to continue to inspire and touch so many kids lives.  Let me know if you want need anything in particular in livestock. I don’t have a tank up right now but I have considerable credit still at CuttlefishandCoral. 

• Like 6

• scissortail changed the title to Klahre House Tank updates 3/22/19

Thanks for the update - looks like great progress!  Glad to see things are settling in and you are starting to be able to expand your critter collection.  One nice thing about reef tanks is that even with limited stocking, there is almost always something interesting going on.  Good to hear the students are already engaged in the tank - hopefully more good things to come.

• Like 1

Looking great! I see the corals settled in nicely, and the boys chose well with their fish. Lots of color in there now! 

To clarify, this tank is new, since the old one mentioned was drilled, and this setup is without a sump. Easier knowing we’re not relying on 10-year-old silicone seams, as well, although plenty of tanks are older. The stand, canopy, and a few other things did make it over from the Boys & Girls club.

Love seeing your progress! 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 5:36 PM, Emerald525 said:

Thanks for sharing. I have a special place in my heart for that tank. It originally came from s fellow reefer almost ten years ago. We set it up at Pioneer school in SE Portland a special needs school.  It then went to the Boys and Girls club until that tank was upgraded. Glad to see it is still around to continue to inspire and touch so many kids lives.  Let me know if you want need anything in particular in livestock. I don’t have a tank up right now but I have considerable credit still at CuttlefishandCoral. 

Oh, what a great idea! We also have considerable credit at Cuttlefish we're glad to donate to the kids club. ♡

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 5:36 PM, Emerald525 said:

23 minutes ago, MrsBret said:

Oh, what a great idea! We also have considerable credit at Cuttlefish we're glad to donate to the kids club. ♡

This is super generous of you both!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• scissortail changed the title to Klahre House School Tank updates 3/22/19