March Cuttle fish sps grow out

My report last month showed some damaged tips, no new growth, and the beginnings of a red bug infestation.  This month, I'm glad to report the damaged tips have recovered and there are several new branches growing.  Not much increase in overall height, but definitely getting wider and thicker:

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.01.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.15.52 PM.png

The red bugs are still there, but in fewer numbers.  Hopefully that's a sign that my pipefish are doing their job!  Below are some macro shots using my UV flashlight highlighting the red bugs:

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.35.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.49.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.51.15 PM.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Simon_Terik said:

What UV flashlight and camera set up are you using to snap those photos? That's amazing! 

I'm using a Nikon D610 camera with Nikon 200mm f/4 macro lens:

5360FBAB-6F3D-4FA9-AA0F-6833632A963E.jpeg

I've posted many photos from this lens in the Gallery forum.  Here's an example: 

I posted about my UV flashlight last week in this post:

I'm bringing the camera to the March 30th meeting at Paradise Coral for the photography workshop, so stop by if you want to check it out in person.

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

they are amazing, mostly due to skill level but a $1400 lens never hurts either. I have been hunting for a 200mm macro.. not much luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It really helps when you find it at B&H Photo for $400 off because the box was opened!

Never mind, just went to look at the frag to see if it is feeling photogenic, noticed some stn on it (for a third time) and checked alk which is down 2 points again.  Here we go with another 1/2" of reverse growout!

At this point I am unsure how I am losing over a point a day with just a few frags in the tank... top theory in our hose is that our dog is going down there while we are at work and is somehow extracting alk in an effort to grow taller so he can pee higher on the tree.  It has been his dream to be top dog for over a decade, and he probably realizes it is now or never.

On the up side, finally got un-lazy and set up the DOS again which has been offline for a month, so that should help.

Maybe this needs to be a one year grow out competition?

Edited by Krux
  • Sad 1

Mine seems happy, not as much polyp extension as I'd like, but at least it's healthy! 

I however can't seem to get the pictures right.  I bet I messed up the first sets!  I'm showing zero growth but factually that isn't the case.  It has grown actually  quite a bit more than I ever thought it would!

20190325_204753.jpg

20190325_204823_resized.jpg

Edited by Cerulean Seas
Fixing pictures and adding comments

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Yeah we can push it out a week or two. Perhaps I will finally get my camera put to take a decent picture.

You should visit the Notre Dame cathedral when your in France!...oh, nevermind.

I still got to see what was left of it:

00DA96FC-4F86-4DE5-8AF8-736AFCC9DF37.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...