Password not working

pdxreeftank

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is where I should post this or not. I have tried the contact us link for the forum with no luck.

For some reason it won't let me use my password to log on, I have to click forgot password, and change it that way, then it lets me stay logged in. But as soon as I log out and try to log back in it says the password is not correct. And I am sure I am using the correct one

Sorry if this is confusing 

Thank you :)

26 minutes ago, pdxreeftank said:

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is where I should post this or not. I have tried the contact us link for the forum with no luck.

For some reason it won't let me use my password to log on, I have to click forgot password, and change it that way, then it lets me stay logged in. But as soon as I log out and try to log back in it says the password is not correct. And I am sure I am using the correct one

I am pinging our admins here as perhaps they have some ideas.  @TheClark @Chief  Sorry to hear you are having problems.

3 hours ago, pdxreeftank said:

Hey guys,

Ah, sorry to hear that, you are the second person to report this.  We will pass this along, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Support reviewed the case and didn't see any issues.  Based on that, here is the recommendation from IPB, please give it a shot and report back:

@What_The_Frag @pdxreeftank

99% of the time this is caused by a users browser auto filling the password for them as storing an older password, specifically if they have changed this recently. Password managers can also auto-fill this info.  For troubleshooting, please have these two users disable any autofill on their browser, or use a different browser for testing that they haven't used on your site before. Then ensuring they use the current password to test with.

• Thanks 1

Wellllll This is a super frustrating issue that drove me nuts for a couple months lol. Definitely helped keep me off here BUT I found the solution to the problem that might help you guys out, an might not. 

If you log in using your email it will time out an you turn around and use the same password you just set less then 10min ago, you might try using your screen name, not email address. I can't believe it took me as long as it did to just use my name (it's listed as a log in option) but my name (it's my screen name) an the same password I've set as my password 50+ times sticks an doesn't timeout an continues to work if I do have to log back in.

Now I'm Not support here but guys try it an let me know if it works for you because I know how it feels to wanna camp on this page 23hrs a day (ya I squeeze time in to sleep) an it's a huge buzz kill to have to reset the password over an over lol.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ron said:

Wellllll This is a super frustrating issue that drove me nuts for a couple months lol. Definitely helped keep me off here BUT I found the solution to the problem that might help you guys out, an might not. 

If you log in using your email it will time out an you turn around and use the same password you just set less then 10min ago, you might try using your screen name, not email address. I can't believe it took me as long as it did to just use my name (it's listed as a log in option) but my name (it's my screen name) an the same password I've set as my password 50+ times sticks an doesn't timeout an continues to work if I do have to log back in.

Now I'm Not support here but guys try it an let me know if it works for you because I know how it feels to wanna camp on this page 23hrs a day (ya I squeeze time in to sleep) an it's a huge buzz kill to have to reset the password over an over lol.

This is interesting. FWIW - I have always used my screen name for log in and haven’t been experiencing this issue. N of 1 I realize...  worth a try and if consistent with others having problems would make for good follow up to the support ticket Thanks!

8 hours ago, Ron said:

Awesome, thanks, I forwarded this along to support.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ron said:

This worked! Thank you! I was getting pretty frustrated(I didn't know I could use my screen name to log in either)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pdxreeftank said:

This worked! Thank you! I was getting pretty frustrated(I didn't know I could use my screen name to log in either)

Interesting - glad it helped.  I wonder if there is some way we could encourage people to use that option - at least until the larger issue is sorted out.  Any ideas @TheClark @Chief?  Can we customize the login page with a message?

Good news, either should work now.  With all of your help, they found the problem:

This should now be corrected for you. The problem here is that the converter was set to use displayname or email, and so this shows on the login form. However the standard login method was only set to display name. Therefore some it would have shown incorrectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2