ReeFi gen 2 high power LEDs

danlu_gt

Sorry, I haven't keep you guys updated for awhile. I'm in Dongguan China now behind the great firewall. Hehe

A bit rewarding to see my hours of CAD work design becoming a real thing. I'm using over 20 vendors to make custom parts. Inspecting and testing the parts that have arrived. Still waiting for a few more vendors to deliver. A bit of production delay is expected on first run. Hopefully, I'll be getting everything in next week in time before Chinese New Year holiday.

Daniel

d446141ed122fa0d9d0962881442c95f.jpgeb1fd2c14bd624b39eb7db39252d3ab9.jpg0a3ab0b9f34f0a010b247e0221b82ed9.jpg2b46fc067f6f18e5a900de704e5462e6.jpgcf5b5c078a5f634be815639598d7a9da.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 12

On 1/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, albertareef said:

Thanks for the update Daniel - exciting to see this turn into a finished product!  Congrats on seeing all your hard design work come together.  Maybe we could get a demo at one of the upcoming meetings?  BTW - who’s feeding the triggers while you are in China?

Yes, I would be excited to show off the new light at an upcoming meeting.

My other fishes are feeding the triggers.. 😜

I have autofeeders setup with pellets.  Hopefully, it won't run out.

• Like 1

Ran into some issues when test fitting the enclosure...  When I designed the enclosure, I downloaded the 3D STEP model files for the power jack and USB plug from the manufacture.  I just assume that their drawings would be up to date.  Unfortunately, the power jacks and USB plugs are 0.4mm higher in real life product than their 3D model files.  Urrgg!!!  Now, the enclosure mold tooling needs to be modified and this will take 10 days, which will push the production of these enclosure to after Chinese New Year.

Another issues I ran into is the OLED screen pins arrangement were not what I specified.  I was planning to connect the OLED screen with jumper cables to the main circuit board.  I've already ordered the jumper cables, but now I need to modify the cable wires so the pins will match up (gnd to gnd, vcc to vcc, etc..).

Once I finished assembling what I can now, I'll be heading to Taiwan to celebrate Chinese New year with my wife and son.  I'll have to make another trip to get everything done.  This will give me time to refine the software user interface.

• Like 5

I am making 2 models for now.  Top of the line (deluxe) will have 72 LED diodes over 9 different spectrum that you can control individually.  The standard model will have 48 diodes over 9 different spectrum but 6 channels (similar spectrum will be grouped).  As a comparison,  top of the line Eco Marine only has 46 LED diodes.  Even with the trade war tariff of 25%, I think I can still price way below the competition with much better specs.

As for tank coverage, I purposely reduce the spread to 80degs because I like to hang my lights up high and I don't like light bleed into my living room when I watch TV.  Tank coverage will depends on what you like to keep.  For SPS, with 2 separate main light source per unit, it should help with self-shadowing.  Die-hard SPS growers will still want to pack in as many light they can depending on how dense they like to grow the SPS.  For LPS and Softies tank, one unit will be more than enough.  If your tank is big, just hang the lights higher.

I still need to spend some time thinking of marketing names for the different models.. I don't know if I like deluxe and standard.... Maybe ReeFi Gen2 and ReeFi Gen2 Extreme.

• Like 2

Will be great to have some options for those of us with longer tank dimensions.  The pendants will work but a unit that better matches the tank profile makes a lot of sense as you (theoretically) should be able to get better coverage with fewer fixtures.  Looking forward to seeing these in action!

Will you be able to offer wider lenses for wider tanks?  I know you said to hang the lights higher for wider tanks but that also reduces PAR .
If there are lots of demand, I can mass produce wider reflectors to justify the tooling cost. If only a few, I can probably 3D print it.

Keep in mind, these units will have more light output than most high-end LEDs out now.

I got a call last night from glass panel factory owner. The samples he showed me before was beautifully made but the night before delivery of mass production, he said the 3rd party that does electroplating process messed up and these do not pass quality check. He will need to order new glasses, tempered them, then use a different electroplating company to make the mirror finish. This means more delays. At least he's honest with me. I rather have delays and told me I will not accept poor quality panels.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I got a call last night from glass panel factory owner. The samples he showed me before was beautifully made but the night before delivery of mass production, he said the 3rd party that does electroplating process messed up and these do not pass quality check. He will need to order new glasses, tempered them, then use a different electroplating company to make the mirror finish. This means more delays. At least he's honest with me. I rather have delays and told me I will not accept poor quality panels.

Ouch - at least you are discovering these things before it's too late to fix them.  Frustrating I'm sure though.  Good luck ironing out the production details!

On 1/19/2019 at 12:44 AM, youcallmenny said:

In addition to this what is the coverage on the two different models?  

The ReeFi LED Gen2 will be equivalent to Radion G4 Pro at about 20%-25% lower price point.  This is an estimate now.

Difference in ReeFi LED Gen2 vs Gen2 Extreme is number of LEDs (48 vs 72) and number of controllable channels (6 vs 9).  The light output angle will be the same between the 2 models.

• 2 months later...

I'm back at China. The glass panels issue got resolved and look great. I've tested one unit fully assembled and can't wait to get these over my tanks.

So I have all parts shipped to my brother's factory. Between last trip and this trip, my box of thermal paste went missing. I hope my brother didn't take it back thinking that it's his wife's facial serums. Haha

7fbf68678145b70dbb572909df0e64f3.jpg