Manny’s 150g Waterbox

Manny Tavan

My $20 refugium light is amazing. Better than my $150 kessil h80 on my red sea. About 10 days ago I put a baseball size piece of chaeto in sump. Here is what it looks like today
83ABA869-0B54-4052-A7E3-A39D23F455EF.thumb.jpeg.cdc5c41ec85f1326d9672bb12f42e32a.jpeg
3036A036-54B0-4A29-B485-0993C0781417.thumb.jpeg.912a54ad3ac6100e3ae2c4c27192eaf3.jpeg
57EF8A2A-5B85-470E-964A-0E4176268408.thumb.png.ef5262cb8fbaf9e5279e6f7081055200.png
Wow impressive!! Similar to the one I was looking to buy on Amazon [emoji3] I put a $ tree LED bulb in there in the meantime and am shocked at how much growth I've gotten from a dollar tree bulb lol.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I just added some fish (three yellow tangs and a copperband butterfly). I thought the yellows would do their own version of the movie gladiator, instead the kole tang is chasing everyone and nipping at fins. He just went beserk!
79EE8DE6-7A63-4CB7-A5B4-58A8BB95C8C5.thumb.jpeg.a37b6486e655dc1fd9484e8da35c3d2c.jpeg

Hope it works out long term! Glad to hear the 3 you were worried about are playing nice thus far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank is two month old and I sent an icp test to get a baseline. Aluminum is high (because I used marinepure media again). I guess they haven’t fixed the issue. My first tank also had high aluminum and that’s why I tossed out all the marinepure balls from that system. 

BA106B8A-9D4C-43F8-9962-AAF7230EDAFD.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

My tank is two month old and I sent an icp test to get a baseline. Aluminum is high (because I used marinepure media again). I guess they haven’t fixed the issue. My first tank also had high aluminum and that’s why I tossed out all the marinepure balls from that system. 

BA106B8A-9D4C-43F8-9962-AAF7230EDAFD.jpeg

How much marinepure are you using?  I have some spheres in my filter cups and a 1"x1"x8" block in my sump, but my aluminum is only 0.036 ppm:

shared-widget-1557333889626.jpeg

Have you tested your RO/DI or freshly mixed saltwater before putting it into your tank?

With my first tank, i used ati test. The rodi had 0 Aluminum but the tank water had super high aluminum. This time I used icp analysis which doesnt test for rodi. My 6 stage rodi system has a tds of 0

i used two large blocks and two boxes of spheres for this build. I even had them cycling/curing in a tote for three months before putting them in my system because i knew about the aluminum

36 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

With my first tank, i used ati test. The rodi had 0 Aluminum but the tank water had super high aluminum. This time I used icp analysis which doesnt test for rodi. My 6 stage rodi system has a tds of 0

i used two large blocks and two boxes of spheres for this build. I even had them cycling/curing in a tote for three months before putting them in my system because i knew about the aluminum

FYI:  ICP-Analysis will test RO/DI or tap water.  You just have to pay for it like a regular test, unlike some that will do it for free when testing saltwater.

Marinepure bio filtration blocks and spheres use a ceramic that's composed of aluminosilicate (aluminum silicate), which is why it's so porous, there website states that Its inert and won't leach anything. But they don't really specify if that's true for both salt and fresh water tanks. Being that there are so many various compounds and elements in salt water tanks, there's probably a few of them that will react and cause aluminum to leach into the tank (one reason I was hesitant at using the stuff). Each and every tank will be completely different in terms of chemistry so one tank could have all the problems with the stuff, but the next won't show any signs at all.

2 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

My tanks is a couple months old and these clown are already on their second batch of eggs. These poor little homeless clownfish are still “hosting” the corner of the overflow lol

2945AB63-CBD3-43E9-AA3F-B70D788BD65A.jpeg

That is some dedication right there.  Well, that and wasted effort...

9 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

My tanks is a couple months old and these clown are already on their second batch of eggs. These poor little homeless clownfish are still “hosting” the corner of the overflow lol

My clowns stayed in the corner for 10 months before they finally discovered the anemone last week.  Clowns are weird. 🤣