Happy Thanksgiving to My Reefing Family

Emerald525

We come from all sorts of different backgrounds and beliefs. We don’t always agree but we are united in our passion of the reefing hobby.  

Many of our outside friends and family think we are crazy :laugh:. They think we are strange with our  obsession over coral and fish but here we all have found a home where it’s normal to want 5 tanks and to upgrade to a 1000 gallon fish room. Where we love to visit our LFS several times a week.  Where we can talk for hours about lighting , flow, and skimmers as well as the newest coral. 

This is a place where I can trade equipoment for  a bottle of vodka (true story ) :congratulatory:

I have met so many kind and good hearted people who have helped me and I know in an emergency there would be ten more willing to help. 

I hope you all have s great time with friends and family but know that this is your home too. You belong here and if you need help there are so many willing to give you a hand including myself .

Happy Thanksgivings!

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

What are your cook times/ temps for the smokers. I've got a POS GMG Daniel Boone that I've had nothing but temp problems with. Trying to see if I can destroy a perfectly good turkey

I smoked it at 250 for 2 hours and 350 for 3 hours.

1 hour ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

What are your cook times/ temps for the smokers. I've got a POS GMG Daniel Boone that I've had nothing but temp problems with. Trying to see if I can destroy a perfectly good turkey

I'm not sure you want to follow my advice as this is my 1st time smoking a Turkey.   I am smoking mine for about 6 hrs at about 225 deg. Seems like they recommend 30-40 min for every pound at 225 deg.

4 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Just an FYI. Don't buy a gmg. Nothing but problems with it from the second smoke. They even replaced the controller board which worked for 1 smoke then the same temp issues and wireless dropping every minute. Cheap Chinese quality right there. Should have gone traeger or MEK. 

Well the Traegers are chinese crap now.............go MAK.........I have a Yoder and love it.

Happy Turkey day evening...............ran mine at 275 to 300 and took about 5 hours but had both a turkey and ham in there.......no pics the family ate it all.......even had 10lbs of mashed potatoes and I think there is a couple spoon fulls left :laugh: wife sent most of it off with people.......

• Like 2

Here's mine, ok moist. Lots of prep seasoning, brine for 24+, inject, etc and it still had not much flavor except near the openings where we stuffed a half orange. Which we won't do again. Some was dryish, some was moist like a wet sponge. Once again my gmg was not even close to register temp -20+ and even with a whole day of testing to get heat shield placement even, when the bird was on it was 50+ difference left/right. I'm done, bird was ok, but this thing has ruined enough meals that I could have done ok with propane. Plus I now have 3rd degree burns on one hand from calibration after doing the 500 degree burns to set the temp sensor. It was registering 503 when my grill level sensor was well over 600. Heat sheild was red, glowing red, at 500 degrees. 

Not the greatest. Skin was leather, again. Almost too moist in places. Not sure about meat other than breasts as I really only like white meat. Made some good gravy. No smoke lines in meat and no pink. Will leave out orange. Maybe apple next time. Was brined, slight inject, trussed, with half an onion, whole orange, and couple cloves garlic inside. Nothing came through except orange which over powered some meat.

IMG_20181122_194313041.jpg

• Like 1