Reference books

WaterIsLove

9 hours ago, WaterIsLove said:

Hey guys! 

I'm sure most people just use google to search and recommended links for reference, but some days i'm old school and can't stand staring at a computer screen. 

Anyone recommend any books as good references for keeping an aquarium? I'm a total noob with salt water. 

~Niki

Welcome Niki - I completely get the real book thing (still do most of my recreational reading that way). That said, I am not sure if the best ones to recommend for reef keeping - there are quite a few ranging from “how tos” to exhaustive coral and fish species studies (none of which I recall the names of at the moment). Hopefully one of or other well read members will chime in here! 

0DD70AE8-3685-4C81-9F72-A313E1833F1D.jpegI don’t use many books but these three I find useful as a quick reference guides.

I also highly recommend a subscription to Coral Magazine. The pictures alone are amazing but there are always nice evidence based and up to date articles. 

One thing I have noticed is you will hear things that are just repeated but never actually researched. For example garlic does absolutely nothing to treat Ich and people who think it does simply do not understand the life cycle of Ich.

Edited by Emerald525
  • Like 3

I have a couple, some are outdated.  the most comprehensive and helpful book on the market is probably the reef aquarium volume 3. It has all the information on chemistry that is often overlooked in most aquarium books.  It is out of print but available via amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Vol-Science-Technology/dp/1883693144

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I have a couple, some are outdated.  the most comprehensive and helpful book on the market is probably the reef aquarium volume 3. It has all the information on chemistry that is often overlooked in most aquarium books.  It is out of print but available via amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Vol-Science-Technology/dp/1883693144

This looks like a nice resource... by a couple of the longest tenured experts in the aquarium field.

Best books for beginners, and advanced reefers alike:
The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 3: Science, Art, and Technology

By Julian Sprung and Charles Delbeek.

Seriously only book you need. May be a little spendy, but it’s a book that holds it’s value really well...for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...