Another DIY Calcium Reactor

NateDawg

Decided to build my own calcium reactor after doing alot of research on them and ended up with this.20181103_152744.thumb.jpg.8141aada53e234c0d4620f77c1bcd56b.jpgI was looking a for a good cost effective build and I really liked the look and simplicity of Geo's reef reactors, but for the size I needed, the price was a bit high, especially since they only came with a.c. pumps. So this one will be able to handle systems up to 300 gallons plus another hundred if a secondary reaction chamber is added onto it. My total cost for everything, including tools and solvent cements was $127.89. (Seems like a pretty good price for a D.C. Calc. Reactor)

20181029_224415.jpg

20181031_010211.jpg

20181103_015204.jpg

20181103_015325.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys!! Just water tested it for an hour, no leaks so far. I still need to put a ph probe holder on the lid. Not sure where to get one local though. Also need to get a ph controller, CO2 regulator, and a CO2 tank. Anyone ever run just plain old seashells off the beach in there reactor Or is it safer to just go with something like reborn?

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

very nicely done! how did you cut the keyholes in the lid and where did you get your acrylic tube? that stuff is pricey!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To cut the keyholes, I drilled two holes, the larger one and a smaller one, the third picture down shows this, then I took a compass and drew in lines that connected the two holes together and used a jigsaw to cut out the bits between the two holes, and sanded it down.

As far as the acrylic tube, I got this one off of eBay when there was a sale on it, normally $33, but occasionally they drop it too $25. I also call around some plastic shops, I've been able to buy some of there end cuts for just a couple bucks.

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Thanks guys!! Just water tested it for an hour, no leaks so far. I still need to put a ph probe holder on the lid. Not sure where to get one local though. Also need to get a ph controller, CO2 regulator, and a CO2 tank. Anyone ever run just plain old seashells off the beach in there reactor Or is it safer to just go with something like reborn?

I don’t think I ever found the pH probe holder locally but I think Avast had them for not too much money. Been a while since I looked. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Reef Chard
      I'll give you a deal if you buy multiple items. Shoot me a PM. Located in SE Portland
      Giesemann Aurora Hybrid LED/T5 Light - $600 OBO Korallin S-1502 Bio-Denitrator -$200 Avast Skimmate Locker - $80 Neptune COR-20 (2000GPH, USB included) - sold Milwaukee pH controller - sold BRS 4-stage 150 GPD RO/DI filter (with pressure gauge and TDS meter) No media - sold Tunze Osmolator ATO - $40 this is missing a float sensor and needs some new tubing 2 x JBJ ATO (no pump) - $30 each Red Sea Magnesium (new) -$5 IM Gourmet Defroster (new) -$5 Triton ICP Professional Seawater Analysis - $30 Red Sea Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit - $10 Red Sea Trace Colors Pro Multi Test Kit - $10 Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit - $10 Red Sea Nitrate Pro Test Kit (new) -$25 Hanna Nitrate Colorimeter (like new, used 1 time) - sold Hanna Phosphate Colorimeter (1 reagent) - sold Hanna Alkalinity Colorimeter (no reagent) - sold 2 x Handheld Refractometer - sold E-Marco Aquascaping Cement (new) - $15 Ecoplus 1/4 HP chiller - $70 Neptune Apex Auto Top Off Kit - $190 Zen Reef Small Mushroom Box (non-magnetic) - $10  
      Giesemann Aurora Hybrid LED/T5 Light - $600 OBO
      Sold as-is: 1 of 2 the T5 channels is out but the light is still plenty bright. I've replaced both ballasts but that did not fix the issue. I suspect it's a wiring issue
      1 T5 channel out indicated by arrows

Light on:

Korallin S-1502 Bio-Denitrator -$200
      Used for nitrate reduction but you can put any media into it (like convert it to a calcium reactor or use carbon/GFO)
      Avast Skimmate Locker - $80

Tunze Osmolator ATO missing float sensor and needs new tubing - $40

2 x JBJ ATO (no pump) - $30 each

Red Sea Magnesium (new) -$5

IM Gourmet Defroster (new) -$5

2 x Triton ICP Professional Seawater Analysis - $30 each (1 left)

Red Sea Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit - $10

Red Sea Trace Colors Pro Multi Test Kit - $10

Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit - $10

Red Sea Nitrate Pro Test Kit (new) -$25

E-Marco Aquascaping Cement (new) - $10

• By ibondy
      Spring cleaning my garage.
      Brand new sump (in box) Trigger Elite Crystal 36 - $200  Skimz Bio pellet reactor large - $75 Skimz Bio pellet reactor small - $50 BRS dosers 50ml per minute - 6 of them $40 each (3 pumps sold) Snapper/Dart Hybrid - slightly used - $150 Dart/Snapper Gold Hybrid - never used - $250 BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual - $30 each - have 2 EC plus air compressor 1300 gph /5.22 PSI - 30$ GenX pump PCX30 - $25 EC plus pump 1584 gph - $20 EC plus pump 1056 gph 30 Coralbox dosing container 3x1500ml - $10 (Sold) Whisper 20 air pump $10 Jebao wave maker TW10 magnetic - $30 Discount for multiple items. 

• By Yoers
      I am planting a new tank for my desk! 1.5 gallons, planted with anubias that has been rooted to a log already. Pearl weed baby tears I believe are planted and wisteria bunched in the background! Still learning and this is my 1st micro tank, so open to suggestions or criticism! I also have a 45 gallon tank meant to be river style tank currently home to tetras and a 5 gallon betta tank supposed to be like a warm creek or pool with light flow. Will post soon!

• By Dakotapi3rc3
      Hi All,
      I recently came across a great deal  on a 40b that had tons of equipment, and i didn't realize it had so many extras either. Here is a list i'll keep working on throughout the day of parts and livestock that won't be making the transfer to my tank. I'll be working on cleaning everything out today/this weekend.
      I'm trying to price things at about half of retail, no reasonable offers refused.
      UPDATE 5/23: ALL PRODUCTS SOLD BUT LIGHTING LISTED BELOW. MAKE AN OFFER?
      EQUIPMENT
      -ATI sunpower 36" t5 dimmable fixture. comes with additional bulbs. This one has more blues. $200
      https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-ati-sunpower-high-output-t5-light-fixture.html
      - Kessil H80 $75

There is tons more stuff, in chems and handheld equipment, and other items. If you're looking for anything specific I would be happy to take a look.
      Thanks all!

• By Sehr
      Howdy folks,
      In for my first real adventure here, had a false start a couple years ago, but over the last month or two I have gathered gear, some used and some new. I have a 75 Gallon tank used tank (clean) that was already drilled. I have researched for the last month and this is the plumbingI have come up with based on what I have, researched, how it’s already drilled, etc.. Please fact check me and provide any recommendations. Pictures are not for scale, but should give a good idea of fitting type.

Sump will be a DIY 20 gallon long, or I might splurge and buy a kit.

2x 1” Drain Lines
      Drain line bulkheads are on the back plate, they are 1” and at the same level as each other Main Drain Line will have a downward facing elbow and a Gate Valve on it Backup Drain Line will have an upward facing elbow and no valve on it 1x ½” Return Line
      Double Pump Setup for redundancy Pump will have a braided vinyl pipe to a barb fitting, from there a check valve to deal with the two-pump system. Will feed into a manifold system, pardon the scale and 3d on drawings. From the Manifold returns to the system with a 90* elbow off the 4-Way straight to the top with loc-line for aiming I put in unions all over the place, I know I’ll have to break down and move this in the next 1-2 years, but did I go overboard? While I want to do it right, I don’t want to waste money either 😃

Parts List:
      Drain
      2x 1" 90* Elbow
      3x 1" Unions
      4x 1" 45* Elbow

Return
      2x 1/2" Barb
      2x 1/2" Check Valve
      3x 1/2" 90* Elbow
      3x 1/2" T's
      6x 1/2" Ball Valve's
      11x 1/2" Unions