Another DIY Calcium Reactor

NateDawg

Decided to build my own calcium reactor after doing alot of research on them and ended up with this.20181103_152744.thumb.jpg.8141aada53e234c0d4620f77c1bcd56b.jpgI was looking a for a good cost effective build and I really liked the look and simplicity of Geo's reef reactors, but for the size I needed, the price was a bit high, especially since they only came with a.c. pumps. So this one will be able to handle systems up to 300 gallons plus another hundred if a secondary reaction chamber is added onto it. My total cost for everything, including tools and solvent cements was $127.89. (Seems like a pretty good price for a D.C. Calc. Reactor)

20181029_224415.jpg

20181031_010211.jpg

20181103_015204.jpg

20181103_015325.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys!! Just water tested it for an hour, no leaks so far. I still need to put a ph probe holder on the lid. Not sure where to get one local though. Also need to get a ph controller, CO2 regulator, and a CO2 tank. Anyone ever run just plain old seashells off the beach in there reactor Or is it safer to just go with something like reborn?

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

very nicely done! how did you cut the keyholes in the lid and where did you get your acrylic tube? that stuff is pricey!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To cut the keyholes, I drilled two holes, the larger one and a smaller one, the third picture down shows this, then I took a compass and drew in lines that connected the two holes together and used a jigsaw to cut out the bits between the two holes, and sanded it down.

As far as the acrylic tube, I got this one off of eBay when there was a sale on it, normally $33, but occasionally they drop it too $25. I also call around some plastic shops, I've been able to buy some of there end cuts for just a couple bucks.

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Thanks guys!! Just water tested it for an hour, no leaks so far. I still need to put a ph probe holder on the lid. Not sure where to get one local though. Also need to get a ph controller, CO2 regulator, and a CO2 tank. Anyone ever run just plain old seashells off the beach in there reactor Or is it safer to just go with something like reborn?

I don’t think I ever found the pH probe holder locally but I think Avast had them for not too much money. Been a while since I looked.