any electricians on here?

pdxmonkeyboy

i am putting a sub panel in my shop i am wondering the following:

do i have to run the feeder through conduit all the way to the panel?

it would be easier to just run the feeder run behind the panel and into the top of the new panel... instead of conduit in the bottom and then running the feeder through the panel to the main lugs. 2x6 studs btw

free beer for any assistance :)048e4555dcd002198271cade9fd3ef52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ok, sounds like just having it in the wall is fine. This is not romex, it is SER underground rated service wire ( there is a difference code wise) and has a pretty tough coating.. maybe not rat proof though.

The ground is going to the rebar grounding rod that can be seen in the picture. that rod is tied into the rebar in my stem walls. i was thinking bare copper was ok then because its not in the underground conduit.

Not an electrician,but have wired two homes and a large shop.  Did you check your local building code?   I’ve saved countless hours and money by placing a call to one of many inspectors.  I had one that came out onsite to mark studs and help map out.   They would rather have homeowners ask, then write failure notices and return for reinspection.   

Just a thought.   

Disregard all above. Romex IS wired inside walls, period. That is how homes are built. Petvet is right/wrong.  Homeowners can work on their homes without permits depending on the job. Insurance has nothing to do with it. Do not call inspectors asking for advice. Inspectors, in general, are idiots. One inspector says this, another says that. I've run into this before. Heck, my dad couldn't get a final on his garage due to inspectors even though literally everything was code. We moved studs, wiring, beams, etc.... To meet code. My dad was an engineer and only paid to have garage built to avoid this bs. It didn't help. I have wired a few grow rooms. If you would like me to see what you are working with send me a pm and I would be happy to take a look and give you my non professional advice. I err on the safe side though. 110 is always wired 20 amp with 15 sockets, I use GFCI or arc fault outlets or breakers. Pm me

well, a couple things...
1. its the city of portland so calling someone isnt an option, you get a machine.
2. yes, you always get different answers from.different inspectors. I blew a gasket once on an inspector that wanted me to "unglue" all my vent pipes on a bathroom remodel because a t was facing the wrong way. He eventually just said fine and approved it.
3. i have permits... yes insurance won't cover illegal permit.
4. this isnt "romex" romex is rubberized plastic sheathed line for outlet runs, this is a feeder cable.

I dont know if you can have a service cable inside a wall. I think you can but my inspector is...ummmm..not very helpful. Perhaps I will plow through the NEC.

I found out that true service lines...power from the street must be in conduit the whole way since they are not connected by a fuse.

My suspicion is that since I am installing a sub panel...and it has a breaker on both sides, i can put it in the wall with protection.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife was a building inspector in Texas and she says that you might have two options depending on the inspector. 

1. Conduit all the way either in the bottom or the top. (the most code compliant)

May or may not pass depending on what the inspector will accept for the wire being protected.

2. Put a nipple on the conduit you have, drill a hole to fit the nipple in a 2x6 to run horizontally so i looks like the nipple is threaded into it, mount your panel to one side or the other, run the wires to the top and in with a clamp in the panel, then completely box the wire in with 2 x what-ever so that it is "protected".  

image.png