My least favorite part of a build

Manny Tavan

Decided to start my new build by getting the rocks first. This will force me to take my time since I don’t have anything else. Not even the tank. This is by far my least favorite part of the build and decided to make a branch style aquascape for a 5ft tank. Sadly my caribsea liferock shapes rock were damaged during shipping. I got 13 pieces instead of 4 large structures. The branches on the other hand were intact 

2A0C30BC-5127-4D06-B6B8-3A1FF2A4A46D.jpeg

49A541FC-6F08-472C-A332-7854B62BD870.jpeg

40892213-42AF-436F-932F-E6E89CF9C462.jpeg

We're your shapes glued together from caribsea? I have an arch from them that is actually 3 pieces epoxied together. If you want more selection I have 2 40lbs boxes I can sell out of. These are just normal boxes, not shapes. I'm no longer setting up my reefer 350 so I have no use for them except a few pieces for my girlfriend's 50 cube which are cycling in a 10g

I probably would have used Marine epoxy vs. cement. But that's me and I like epoxy :) The piece in the pic is at CB's, he's got a lot of nice pieces but wants good money. Travis got me started in this hobby and has been real helpful along the way. Considering I went in for a winter tank for pond goldfish. My Wyoming whites came from him as a mated but not breeding pair. I recommend his fish. All have been great. 

6 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Epoxy can make that happen. Just have to research the epoxy.  I've glued cars together as an auto body tech, correctly, I've done structural steel repairs with epoxy. Epoxy is bad as*. You just have to research and find the right epoxy, there are thousands to pick from.

oh I know epoxy is solid. I use it all the time. But can you get a 10lb bucket of epoxy for $7?

7 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

which epoxy brand would you recommend? 

Give the hydrolic cement a shot!  I can tell you from personal experience it works awesome  look it up on reef2reef andcreef centrsl. Very good reviews!  If you want to wait and order Marco cement (likely just hydrolic cement) it has great results as well   I personally would not spend the extra dough for epoxy as I have seen this stuff pop right off rocks  but again this is my personal experience  and hydrolic cement has worked well for me  good luck with whatever you choose Manny 

Did more research. Some people are reporting crumbling of the hydraulic cement after a year or so. Seems like emarco 400 is just hydraulic cement MasterEmaco N 427 but it comes with an acrylic fortifier acryl 60. Some people report using the quickrete acrylic fortifier with the quickrete hydraulic cement. Not sure i want to experiment further because the branches I am using are HEAVY so I ordered emarco 400 cement. Doubt I can find it locally under it’s generic name

Edited by Manny Tavan

I would use just good old epoxy and super glue with BRS superglue fast set spray. That’s what I used. It’s tried and true. My Tanks been running for a year and a half now and nothing has even budged :)

Sent while trying to get my next coral fix.....

2 hours ago, Paratore said:

Not the best photo but here is how the tank stands now after a year and a half. Structure has held together well. da3e0483102d5b11614ecae08d33b813.jpg

Sent while trying to get my next coral fix.....

Dang - has it seriously been a year and a half since that build started?  Ugh... where did the time go!