Need help picking a light

Manny Tavan

With black friday coming up. I'd like to finalize my build as soon as possible. 

This will be a red sea reefer 525xl (5'x2'x2') SPS dominated tank.

I really can't figure out what lighting to go with because there are s many options out there: 

x1 Giesemann 60" aurora t5/led hybrid

x3 radion xr30 gen4 pros

x3 Hydra HD 52

x2 Kessil A700

x1 aquatic life T5 fixture with x3 LED (hydra, kessil, or radion)

If you guys were building a 5ft SPS tank, with aesthetic and coral color/growth as your priority, which one would you guys pick. 

(ps would be nice not to have to hang a fixture from the ceiling)

p-99292-94791V.jpg

1 minute ago, Manny Tavan said:

did the diffuser help with reducing shading?

The diffusers really help with smoothing out the color pattern and reducing the disco effect.  They also reduce the glare when looking at the tank from across the room.

I’m not exactly sure what shading you mean, but hopefully this helps.

39 minutes ago, River City Corals said:

I have 3 gen4 xr30 with the aquatic life t5 fixture and it awesome   They are definitely Par monsters depending on height of fixture and intensity of Radions 

Hows the cord management with that set up. That means you have 5 different cords to route back to the power outlet right?

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

The diffusers really help with smoothing out the color pattern and reducing the disco effect.  They also reduce the glare when looking at the tank from across the room.

I’m not exactly sure what shading you mean, but hopefully this helps.

By shading, i mean dark spots on the sides of corals especially acros

I have 3 Hyra HD 26's over my Reefer 450. No problems with coral growth. However, I do like the shimmer from Kessil lights and enjoy tanks with some T5 lighting. 

I had one fixture go out at about the one year mark, but the manufacturer replaced it.  

Just my opinion... but in this climate I think it is crazy not to be using MH bulbs.   Either with light bulbs or with your heaters, you are going to pay to heat your tank 80% of the year.  

LED's have been trying to emulate the performance of halides since they first came out.   Seems  at times people are more concerned with programming this or that more than they are with the actual performance of the lights.  My set up has two settings, on and off.   Ok, no sunrise or whatever but I also have only ONE thing that I can mess up with my light schedule, one it is on or off. 

My geisemann spectra  (3 - 250watt MH bulbs and 4 t5's) baths the tank in such an even amount of high PAR it is utterly ridiculous.  NO other light will come close to how even the coverage is at around 8-12" from the water surface.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Just my opinion... but in this climate I think it is crazy not to be using MH bulbs.   Either with light bulbs or with your heaters, you are going to pay to heat your tank 80% of the year.  

LED's have been trying to emulate the performance of halides since they first came out.   Seems  at times people are more concerned with programming this or that more than they are with the actual performance of the lights.  My set up has two settings, on and off.   Ok, no sunrise or whatever but I also have only ONE thing that I can mess up with my light schedule, one it is on or off. 

My geisemann spectra  (3 - 250watt MH bulbs and 4 t5's) baths the tank in such an even amount of high PAR it is utterly ridiculous.  NO other light will come close to how even the coverage is at around 8-12" from the water surface.  

Good points. 

Here is one to consider... Office gets too hot!  It heats the whole darn room!  Probably will never have MH again due to that...

So how often do mh bulbs need replacing? In hydroponics mh bulbs need replacing roughly twice a year due to output loss. Is that the same with tanks? Look at power consumption too. That costs a lot of $ each month. 3 250 watt bulbs is probably $30+ a month just there, then you still need heaters for when lights are off plus ac to cool room during days 70* and up. Not knocking mh just got to think of all aspects. Heck if I could get 600 watt hps conversion bulbs suitable for saltwater I'd switch to those as I've got several setups that are air cooled. Or even 1000 watt hps/mh. 

So how often do mh bulbs need replacing? In hydroponics mh bulbs need replacing roughly twice a year due to output loss. Is that the same with tanks? Look at power consumption too. That costs a lot of $ each month. 3 250 watt bulbs is probably $30+ a month just there, then you still need heaters for when lights are off plus ac to cool room during days 70* and up. Not knocking mh just got to think of all aspects. Heck if I could get 600 watt hps conversion bulbs suitable for saltwater I'd switch to those as I've got several setups that are air cooled. Or even 1000 watt hps/mh. 
you replace bulbs once every two years. they dont cost anywhere near that per month. they are only on for 5-6 hours a day.

when my 750w of lights come on the heater never comes on for 5 hours. 30 minutes after they go off my heaters start coming on and off. 1000w of heaters.

I never run a chiller, nor AC.

i love t5, even light. just very flat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk