Return pump for 65 gallon

kjlife

I've used ehiems, and the newer versions of the dc jebao pumps, both are pretty cheap and quiet. The jebao can be hit or miss though, I've had mine running for 3 and a half years and have just cleaned it twice a year and it's kept it's pressure the whole time. But I always keep a spare on hand.

Maybe marine aqua fron aquarium station. Not sure of the rep but another brand to research. It has a mode to replacea powerhead flow with just the return pump. I'm experimenting with one now. Does have a breaking period I'm learning. Jabeo is pretty good too. Dc is the way to go unless you have a specific application for a certain head pressure and rpm, but pumps only control flow ie lph/gph  and psi being secondary without control based on flow path. 

I’d also highly recommend Jebao as well, I’ve had many last 2+ years with minimal cleanings. The newer models have more built in electrical safeties that the early models didn’t.

get a DCP model, they are silent! I run DCT models and they have a slight hum to them but still quieter than any mag drive or AC pump. My buddy bought a DCP and you can’t even tell it’s on! Pretty sweet and for your application it should be $70-80.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 9:48 PM, Exodus said:

You can use this Calculator -> http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

If you intend to go with Jeabo I would consider buying 2, It would be wise to have a backup in-case of Failure.

That calculator doesn't list jeabo it gives head pressure loss? Lol confuses me even more I have a couple pumps now I forget what there called some no name say 633gph on the side seems like they don't pump fast enough

17 minutes ago, kjlife said:

That calculator doesn't list jeabo it gives head pressure loss? Lol confuses me even more I have a couple pumps now I forget what there called some no name say 633gph on the side seems like they don't pump fast enough

Well of course it doesn't have Jeabo; its an older calculator, though the same math applies. Many of the pumps on the calculator are still around and easy to find their specs. You find a comparable model in flow output and use that to calculate roughly how much head loss you get with your Particular plumbing and what the flow output would be, knowing that a return pump should be (At Least) 5X turnover with a 65 Gallon you want  that flow output to be (A Minimum) of 325gph on that Calculator.

Your Jeabo DCP-2500 Has a Max Flow of 660gph Well a Mag Drive 7 is 640gph so roughly in the Same ballpark (A bit conservative) With my plumbing configured into the calculator i get Total losses are 4.44 feet of head pressure, or 1.92 PSI. with a flow rate of 456 GPH. Process took 99 iterations.

That means if you had my exact plumbing you would be getting 456/65 ~7X the turnover of the 65 Gallons you stated. (Though probably less as I don't think your 65 includes Sump Volume)

whereas if you were to go with DCP-5000 @ Max Flow 1450gph compare that To a Little Giant 4 MDQX-SC @ Max Flow 1325gph my plumbing would provide:
Total losses are 6.23 feet of head pressure, or 2.69 PSI. with a flow rate of 1061 GPH. Process took 144 iterations.

So in this case with my plumbing 1061/65 ~16X+ (Being DCP-500 Is Larger) A pump that would be rated much higher than Needed, Though If DC This can be adjusted.

Obviously this shouldn't be considered an "Exact" Science, there is a bit more when it comes to each pump and exactly how they are made, but this is enough to give you a ballpark figure of what your looking for, for Visual Representation you can watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZm4uYKG3U

Also keep in mind most recommendations that are provided from users are "What they Purchased" Everyone who suggested Jeabo felt the need to tell you just how long it has lasted, though that question wasn't even asked, and there is a good reason for that. I can't stress enough if your going to go with something so Cheap Buy 2.

• Like 1

Yea that's why I don't know which route to go the pumps I got with the used setup I bought are ecoplus 633 gph and they arnt adjustable the reason I feel they are too low is the water isn't draining constantly so it makes different bubbling noises that are annoying and I don't want to get something that is totally overkill 

I decently want a DC pump so I can adjust the flow I've been using jeabo powerheads on my current system 30 gallon with no problems so I do like the company so far only been running them about a year though

I’d always oversize with a DC pump since they can be adjusted down. Also, with most electronics, they last longer when not run at the upper limits. I’d get a 3500 or even the next size up. Always check prices on Amazon for them as occasionally larger models will cost less.

Jebao CP pumps don’t have the best reputation, many had early failures. If you want a budget Gyre pump, get the Icecap version instead.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1k-gyre-generation-pump-with-controller-1000-gph-icecap.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfbd-Oq53gIVF73sCh005gmQEAQYASABEgK1v_D_BwE

21 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I’d always oversize with a DC pump since they can be adjusted down. Also, with most electronics, they last longer when not run at the upper limits. I’d get a 3500 or even the next size up. Always check prices on Amazon for them as occasionally larger models will cost less.

Jebao CP pumps don’t have the best reputation, many had early failures. If you want a budget Gyre pump, get the Icecap version instead.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1k-gyre-generation-pump-with-controller-1000-gph-icecap.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItfbd-Oq53gIVF73sCh005gmQEAQYASABEgK1v_D_BwE

I was looking at icecap as well but wasn't sure the 1k would be enough on Amazon it say recomend 10-30 gallons I think but if that one is sufficient I'd get it similar in price as well