Sps grow out contest?

OK, here's the updated list:

• Like 5

I'll update the list once per day until the competition starts (since pdxmonkeyboy doesn't like "herding cats" 😂).  Should there be a cutoff date to sign up?

Current count = 12

Can the following please confirm in or out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Coordinating the funds, figuring out a pickup time and drawing lots for who get what frag sounds like it will need to be settled.

I can help on the fund collection. We can route the payments to the PNWMAS account and then I can pay @CuttleFishandCoral or whoever for the colony.

Let me know @pdxmonkeyboy or @SuncrestReef and I can post more directions and track who has paid.

9 minutes ago, Jeremevans said:

Coordinating the funds, figuring out a pickup time and drawing lots for who get what frag sounds like it will need to be settled.

I can help on the fund collection. We can route the payments to the PNWMAS account and then I can pay @CuttleFishandCoral or whoever for the colony.

Let me know @pdxmonkeyboy or @SuncrestReef and I can post more directions and track who has paid.

I'm new to this whole grow out contest thing, but I'm happy to help and just jumped in on compiling the participant list since it seemed like someone needed to do it.  In addition to what @Jeremevans outlined above, I think there is still the undecided method of measuring growth and/or coloration to determine the winner.  There was a lively debate on this earlier in the thread, but then died down.  Any suggestions on coming up with the final rules?

For now I'll just stick to tracking the list of participants, but I'm willing to help in other aspects if needed.  I'm noting those who also mentioned specific date conflicts due to vacations and will include that in the next list update.

thanks Jeremy! if you want to coordinate funds that would be great.

6 months was generally agreed upon for time frame.

measurement with a ruler will be deciding factor for proving a winner. it could be brown but big and you would be crowned victorious.

post a picture with ruler. then once a month or once every month updates would be cool. if new branches form then measure those as well and just add them up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

thanks Jeremy! if you want to coordinate funds that would be great.

6 months was generally agreed upon for time frame.

measurement with a ruler will be deciding factor for proving a winner. it could be brown but big and you would be crowned victorious.

post a picture with ruler. then once a month or once every month updates would be cool. if new branches form then measure those as well and just add them up.

I don't want to complicate things, but I doubt using a ruler would be effective with the irregular growth patterns possible on a SPS frag.  I've been tracking the growth of my green slimer every month since I got it, and it has developed so many small branches in every direction that it would be impossible to get a ruler into every position needed to measure them.  Not only has it grown longer branches, it has also gotten thicker.  I think the only practical ways to measure would be either weight or water displacement, as was discussed earlier in this thread.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 4.18.32 PM.png

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

I am going to mount mine in my tank, I suspect many others will as well. This would make it hard to remove and measure. and everyone has a ruler.

If you get this colony to grow like a green slimmer then everyone will just agree you win anyways.

next up.. green star poly grow out!!!

• Haha 1