Fun with 3D printer

danlu_gt

I have an old Eshopp large cone skimmer but the magnet part of the impeller have cracked. Replacement impeller was a bit pricey so this weekend I decided to upgraded it with my Jebao needle/mesh conversion kit. Bought a Jebao DCP-10000. Also made a custom bubble diffuser.05f4a1902c2dda5d43ab80aa5fc1caf2.jpg31878f69ffad685cfb35ebdebf92e0ad.jpg491f35fdb36c95114770e2299dbf4595.jpg319cdfe1008b2c188cdbaf24a11a7895.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

2 hours ago, youcallmenny said:

Hey that's really awesome!  Would you say the diffuser was an upgrade functionally? 

The original skimmer also have a diffuser but it wouldn't fit the upgraded pump.  The main upgrade was going from small AC pump to more powerful DC pump.  With pump now outside the skimmer, there is a bit more area for bubbles in the skimmer body.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:59 PM, danlu_gt said:

The original skimmer also have a diffuser but it wouldn't fit the upgraded pump.  The main upgrade was going from small AC pump to more powerful DC pump.  With pump now outside the skimmer, there is a bit more area for bubbles in the skimmer body.

I had to go back and reread the OP, I completely missed that you converted it from in-body to external.  That's pretty impressive.  Did you create the 3D model for it yourself?

I had to go back and reread the OP, I completely missed that you converted it from in-body to external.  That's pretty impressive.  Did you create the 3D model for it yourself?
Yes, I made the 3D model myself. Hardest part was trying to get a good measurements. It was close enough to make a good fit. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Nice. I keep leaning towards getting a 3D printer, especially for making things for this hobby.

It's a blast...

but also a huge time sink as these things are not like a desktop printer. 

Much TLC and fussing required! 

Unless you get a Prusa Mk3, these things make the others look like toys.  

Then when you get your printer working well, it's time to fuss with CAD unless the part you need is already built by someone else.

All that said, I HIGHLY recommend it, I went from 0 to 4 printers in a few months and love it.  Probably the reason I am rarely on the site these last few months :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheClark said:

It's a blast...

but also a huge time sink as these things are not like a desktop printer. 

Much TLC and fussing required! 

Unless you get a Prusa Mk3, these things make the others look like toys.  

Then when you get your printer working well, it's time to fuss with CAD unless the part you need is already built by someone else.

All that said, I HIGHLY recommend it, I went from 0 to 4 printers in a few months and love it.  Probably the reason I am rarely on the site these last few months :)

wow.. 4 printers!  Which ones did you get?  I'm using Robo 3D R1+ which is based off Marlin firmware.  There are a lot of new features added in the latest version but I haven't bother upgrading the firmware yet.

Yes, a lot of TLC is required.  There are a lot of settings (1st layer z offset, extrusion offset, and calibrating xyz distance) to figure out.  Once they are good, I haven't had to touch those.  Have you run into PLA clogging?  I ended up making an oiler and seem to fix it.  I though of addition filament detector so it would pause when it ran out of filament until I change it out then resume.  Now, I just guess if there's enough to finish the print.

Which slicer are you using?  I tried different ones but I still like Slic3r the most.  It's probably the most complex in terms of settings but I kinda like that control over simplicity, but I wish they had option to delete part of the support for complex prints.

41 minutes ago, danlu_gt said:

wow.. 4 printers!  Which ones did you get?  I'm using Robo 3D R1+ which is based off Marlin firmware.  There are a lot of new features added in the latest version but I haven't bother upgrading the firmware yet.

Yes, a lot of TLC is required.  There are a lot of settings (1st layer z offset, extrusion offset, and calibrating xyz distance) to figure out.  Once they are good, I haven't had to touch those.  Have you run into PLA clogging?  I ended up making an oiler and seem to fix it.  I though of addition filament detector so it would pause when it ran out of filament until I change it out then resume.  Now, I just guess if there's enough to finish the print.

Which slicer are you using?  I tried different ones but I still like Slic3r the most.  It's probably the most complex in terms of settings but I kinda like that control over simplicity, but I wish they had option to delete part of the support for complex prints.

Hi Daniel,

That looks like a nice machine.  Good build volume, bed levelling and all metal hot end.  Nice!

So far here... 2 MP Mini deltas, 1 MP Maker select (wanaho i3 clone) and... standing far above the crowd, a Prusa Mk3.  The mk3 literally blows these others out of the water is quality and reliability.  It is a truly print and forget printer.  Love it.

Those are very nice upgrades you have done.  I do gotta check out the oiler, I do get clogs on 3/4 printers.  On the mini deltas and the maker I have done a ton of upgrades, none on the mk3.

The filament detector is so nice.  Love that for loading/unloading and resuming prints.  One cool thing the mk3 does is color changes, super nice feature also.  It beeps when its time to change, unloads existing filament, loads new, extrudes until color change and resumes the print.

Tried Slic3r, Cura various versions, and Prusa control.  Loving Cura 3.3.1 with octo print.  Cura has an incredible number of settings too, so you may enjoy tweaking there as well!   After the prusa though, I am kinda tired of tweaking and just want to spend more time designing and printing, less time fiddling! :D

• 1 year later...