Anyone know a good acrylic polisher?

WAVES

One of my service accounts has some scratches, not particularly deep, but long and very white. they are on the outside of the tank.

Anyone know of a good acrylic polisher guy/gal?

James at Envision would be great, except its not exactly his forte' he isnt interested in doing it.

any recommendations would be great.

Have you tried novus two and three yet? If the scratches are to much for novus Three I would try to sell them a new tank. Any time you remove large scratches with micromesh you are removing material which is going to cause distortion when looking in the tank.

Have you tried novus two and three yet? If the scratches are to much for novus Three I would try to sell them a new tank. Any time you remove large scratches with micromesh you are removing material which is going to cause distortion when looking in the tank.

Does some have this local?

Thanks Travis Ill try the novus, if I can just get the white to go away, it should be enough. Its in a bar and its a 340gal tank, so replacing it wont be an option (they wont spend that kind of coin again for a few scratches Im sure of it).

Ill work on it a bit with just the novus and see how it comes out, they can then decide if they want to find a "professional".

*Disclaimer: Advice given in this forum is for entertainment purposes only :)

Maybe James will jump in here but if you just want to clean up the scratch a butane torch should work fine... Just don't get it too hot or it will start to off gas and bubble.

• 4 years later...

If there are lots of deep scratches like I did from a sea urchin, I used 400 - 12000 grit wet sand paper and used a square sander to resurface my tank. My sander is a 3 prong type so I had it plugged into a GFCI outlet. Just in case I drop the [language filter] thing, as I was working with water too. Then finished up with Novus #3, #2 and acrylic polisher as the final step. The tank will never look like it was brand new, but good enough where you have to know what a new tank looks like to see the difference.

Trautman it won't lead to stress no worry all u are doing is sanding the acrylic down and then bufferying it. In order to get stress u need to be buffing on one spot with a buffer pad on high speed for some time. I work with acrylic and sanding and then buffing is best when u have a lot of scratches and deep ones. Just like waxing a car :) not picking on you bro

the torch trick *kinda* works, still leaves the scratch, just polishes the white part, but it stresses the material so don't advise it.

3 other good choices:

* Novus 2/3 by hand, #1 does squat for scratches, just a cleaner. I you use 3, be sure to use 2 after

* Small buffing wheel in a drill, use Novus 2/3 (I hate 3 but has it's place) - just make sure to use lotsa Novus so you don't burn the acrylic.

* Micromesh, the *complete* kit, the kit available at Woodcraft is not the same kit available at Micro-surface.com (kit NA-78-1 or MA-1)

There are a coupla other kits out there, but cost much more $$

James