Tiny Tank, Tiny Budget Contest

1AFCEAEE-8607-4C5A-9017-DCB8078C48AE.jpegHeres my pico. 

Betta falls tank $49.99, 2 gallon total volume.

10w heater $14.39

Light is a e-live led spare I had for my freshwater tank. Not sure if it will be strong enough to grow much but worth a shot. Has 3 blue pucks, 2 cool white pucks and one hd puck installed on it. Pucks are interchangeable and i have a few extra blues and whites I could add if need be. Only thing havent figured out yet is how to mount the light.  Probably going to hang it from night stand using a few shelving brackets I have laying around tomorrow evening.

total cost $64.38

B84B726A-2371-4FD3-B238-27AE525A5B59.jpeg

Edited by Oregonic
  • Like 3

Flash’s 3.5 Nano Drop Off

Tank 19.99 converted to drop off 

25W Heater 7.49 

Par bulb 24.95 

HOB Filter Free

Refug 9.28. (I may use, have to rework it) 

total 61.71$

Edited: New Light and Heater came last night  

A1572ECD-302D-44BE-A78B-294DFBBA2926.jpeg

C5DCBCE8-50F2-46A2-8D21-8B2187F84177.jpeg

Edited by Flash21
  • Like 3

Im letting my son be in charge of most of this, but heres our tank :) 

He did the aquascape and most of the scrubbing on the glass of the dirty tank and hes going to pick the stock. 

Old Spec V tank Scrubbed and Cleaned!

Some Dry Rock

15” Adj. Flex mount – 23.99

Cobalt Neo Therm Heater – 29.38

ABI 12w Par 38 bulb – 24.95

Quiet one pro 400 Pump 12.66

Total: 90.98

KingfisherTank1.jpg

• Like 2

Here's mine. 

-Betta falls (free off Craigslist)

-Fluval nano light (not sure this is actually good for anything. I have another light sitting around if this doesn't work out)

-Tetra 25w preset heater (came with the tank)

-The sump is a 3 gallon Rubbermaid tote (4$)

-Some random pieces of tubing and PVC fittings (3$)

-Total price tag 7$

-Rocks came out of my sump. I also threw my dirty filter sock in the sump. I'm hoping the cycle will be fast. 

I had the wood for the stand in the garage. I'll clean it up and make it look better soon. I just wanted to get things running. I'm thinking sexy shrimp and mushrooms in chamber 1, bumblebee shrimp and zoas in chamber 2, and maybe pom pom crabs in chamber 3. 

168695C5-5B52-4F2D-B071-E6D1A9370602.jpeg

C9CA44F1-D5F2-4CED-91D5-948AD619D78A.jpeg

• Like 4

LOL must not ........... dang its so temping....... well will see what happens tonight. If the sale falls threw Im going to keep my all in one. But going to move it to a new location and replace sand bed... A major cleaning and restart... If I sale it I will go back to what I started with a pico again :)

1 hour ago, LadySaber said:

wow I love this drop off tank... Now I have to learn how to make one myself

My Drop Off was quite simple.  I added the Tint on the sides to make it look cleaner and hide any imperfections from the caulk.  

On 3/9/2018 at 2:12 PM, Jack-the-reefer said:

You can do anything you want as long as total volume doesn't exceed 5g. I'll be putting a sump on the betta falls. 

Wish I would have read earlier posts a little closer, didnt see you were doing a betta falls :nooo:  I kind of feel like an [language filter] now. Sorry for doubling up on same tank.

I am going for softies in lower section (mushroom and zoas)

LPS in center (small hammer and frogspawn)

SPS in top left (small frag of branching psammocora and red plating monti). Hopefully can keep up with alk/cal demand with a turkey baster water change every other day.  If I cant keep up will probably swap with flower nem. 

My punchbowl nano entry:

I thought it would be cool to have a shallow tank with mini anemones and ricordia. I thought a punchbowl would be cool and set out to find one that was big and shallow. I looked at the local Goodwill stores in the area ("home of the small, tall punchbowl") with no luck and found one on Craigslist that was what I was looking for. It was a little pricey, but it included a glass ladle to help with the waterchanges! My list:

1) 4 gallon punchbowl $30

2) Hydor 180 pico powerhead $20.99

3) Rock from an old tank and sand I had laying around

4) Tetra 25w heater I had laying around

5) Maxspect Razor Nano I already had

Total cost so far: $50.99

It took about 2.5 gallons of water to fill it up & now I just need to wait for the sand to settle. I'm hoping for some nice colors from maxi-minis and rock flower anemones (anyone have some to sell?). I love how it looks-- I just wish I could hide the heater better.

IMG_20180315_152638.jpgIMG_20180315_163159.jpg

IMG_20180316_164740.jpg

Edited by rdavis
Got rid of blank space at end of post
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, rdavis said:

My punchbowl nano entry:

I thought it would be cool to have a shallow tank with mini anemones and ricordia. I thought a punchbowl would be cool and set out to find one that was big and shallow. I looked at the local Goodwill stores in the area ("home of the small, tall punchbowl") with no luck and found one on Craigslist that was what I was looking for. It was a little pricey, but it included a glass ladle to help with the waterchanges! My list:

1) 4 gallon punchbowl $30

2) Hydor 180 pico powerhead $20.99

3) Rock from an old tank and sand I had laying around

4) Tetra 25w heater I had laying around

5) Maxspect Razor Nano I already had

Total cost so far: $50.99

It took about 2.5 gallons of water to fill it up & now I just need to wait for the sand to settle. I'm hoping for some nice colors from maxi-minis and rock flower anemones (anyone have some to sell?). I love how it looks-- I just wish I could hide the heater better.

IMG_20180315_152638.jpgIMG_20180315_163159.jpg

IMG_20180316_164740.jpg

Interested to see how this turns out, could be really cool. 

Here's my entry -- A 3-gallon exposed rock  peninsula

Tank ($20.21) modified to include an internal sump ($5.20 TAP Plastics), silicone and black vinyl from Chris @Flash21 (thanks, my friend!).  I have a little cobalt mini pump ($15.60) with a little bitty hose and elbow from Orchard's ($1.08).  I borrowed a nice little Kessil light from my bestie, but I need to figure out something more permanent.  I'm going to try to run this with just a Polyfilter, but I may add some ChemiPure, and maybe even throw in some chaeto.

Total:  $42.09

Since we're experimenting, I picked up a fogger from Amazon ($9.99) that I am going to try to use as a sort of ATO.  I'm not sure how I am going to pull it off, but I'm going to try.  The look I'm going for here is mist-over-the-water that doubles as an ATO.  I've got some air plants on the exposed rock (we'll see if the salt creep gets 'em).  The aquascape is a work-in-progress.  

angle.jpg

side view.jpg

top down.jpg

• Like 2