Killer Kalk?

kriswaters

I have pests...fun, fun, fun. I bought some success calk by red sea and was told that it was the same exact thing as kent marine kalk. I followed the advice from what I have heard and mixed up the stuff with a little tank water. It seemed I just got a bubbly mess. I finally got some kind of paste after mixing several small scoops into the mixture. I squirted on the aiptasia and it retreated around the mix immediately. It stayed hidden for about an hour and now I see some weak looking tentacles protruding. As for the majonos...so far I have seen nil effect from this stuff.

As for the pests, especially the majonos...if you had them in your tank and were selling stuff off, would you at least warn the individual before buying?

Any thoughts?

Kris

I had some luck killing aptasia with a very thick kalk paste, toothpaste consistency. took a lump of it on my finger and smeared it on top of the buggers hole, actually ended up plugging the hole with paste and it took care of him. I'd try to kill them off before I sold it, but I'd tell the buyer.

+1 for josh

Make it like thick dough. Only a couple of drops of water in a lot of kalk powder. cover the aptasia with a small mountain. Let it dissolve (days), or remove in a few days. No more aptasia.

I do not know who the seller was, but if they didn't know they had them, it would be hard to warn you. If there were so many that you couln't miss them, then a warning should have been in order.

dsoz

I just killed about 10 aiptasia with Joes juice. I had 2 large ones, i mean big like the size of a half dollar. I was lazy and let them be. Well they became about 15. I covered the large ones with joes juice and they wilted up and are gone. All except 1 of the big ones, its sucked into itself. I am gonna hit it with kalk tonight. But the joes juice worked great on the rest of them, and the joes juice was about 2 years old :)

Thanks a bunch guys. It kind of stinks being new to the game and not knowing all...I had heard of aiptasia and new what to look for....majonos, now I know exactly what those guys are. I will try the kalk treatment again tomorrow....of I will chisel down the rock that my coral came on and bake the heck out of it. Argggggggg.

Kris

Heres a warning. Some aptasias will multiply much faster then others. I had some in my tank like only 3 for a year and they never multiplied. Bought some xenia frags with 2 of them on it so I just let them be...big mistake. Them suckers were everywhere in no time. Much faster spreading variety. Little weeds. I just happily melt them away with Kalk. Ahahahaahah die you sucker.

Jay

Is there anything that will actually control them by eating them? I bought a copper banded butterfly that had no appitite for them. What about those pepermint shrimp? Will they actually eat them till there gone from your tank? I have to get up on a tall step stool to reach the bottom of my tank and getting at them with a syringe is not easy for me.

Jay

As with anything reef related, aptasia, majano, red bugs, flatworms, nobody gave them to you but yourself for not taking the necessary precautions, Its a risk that you take every time you buy a coral, and nobody can guarantee what your buying is not pest free, dip and QT or eventually you will be sorry.

As far as pets that eat them, coppers and peppermint MAY eat them but there is no guarantee. To get a copper interested in a aptasia feed your copper favorite food to the aptasia to get him interested.

I would be afraid the kalk dough would be blown off the rock as it dissovles and if it hits a nearby invert could cause some major damage.

I mixed a saturated kalk solution with DI water and injected into my aptasia (actually pierce the aptasia) with the plastic syrange included in my salifert test kit. They schriveled up, and then I found my peppermint shrimp eating them the next day. The shrimp are fine but that's another instance of killing stuff in your tank. I don't know what joe's juice is but it may be safer. I read that saturated kalk has a pH of 12, and you shouldn't handle it with your bare hands!

As with anything reef related, aptasia, majano, red bugs, flatworms, nobody gave them to you but yourself for not taking the necessary precautions, Its a risk that you take every time you buy a coral, and nobody can guarantee what your buying is not pest free, dip and QT or eventually you will be sorry.

As far as pets that eat them, coppers and peppermint MAY eat them but there is no guarantee. To get a copper interested in a aptasia feed your copper favorite food to the aptasia to get him interested.

Nyles,

First off, I have asked everyone that I have taken or bought from if the had pests. Everyone to this date, with one exception, has been truthful. I take offense that you would treat me as if I have approached this in a non-caring, non-educated manner. I currently don't have the ability to have a seperate QT tank....thus back to my original statement of checking with the individuals that I recieve things from, and trusting them to be honest. I understand that it is impossible to guarantee anything, but given the choice to take a piece that was knowingly harboring pests would have been nice. It just goes to show that there are still people out there you can't trust, and there are those who will jump quickly on the band wagon to slay you for discussing this with others!

Kris

I think your reading to far into the post, its not directed to you, its a general statement about this subject, please don't take offense. I have been told that stuff I have purchased is pest free but still received free bugs, also in a fish store stuff moves in and out fast, there is no way to control pests without large expense and/or labor. Also I will add that taking someones word does not mean a thing, zero, nothing to me (as this is concerned), because UNLESS they have not purchased anything in at least a few months they have no way of knowing if there is eggs or anything else in there. You have to take the initiative, I would be shocked if someone had a pest and didn't tell me, the people on these boards and sponsors are better than that, but pests get to everything, its part of the hobby and part of the practice you should be doing as part of your husbandry to your tank. If not you will have a aptasia farm or whatever it is thriving in your system eventually. Its like playing Russian roulette, sooner or later you will get the short stick.

Im not gunning for you, we all do what we can to keep our tanks pest free, Im just stating that its nobodys FAULT but your own for getting pests, especially if you dont treat, its simply comes with introduction of new stuff into your tank. I don't QT but I do dip EVERYTHING that goes in my tank now (NO EXCEPTIONS). Its not worth the frustration later.

I never have blamed anyone but myself for pests I have received. I have had a certain person here on the boards give me red bugs some time ago, they apologized up and down, but I knew it was my fault, I was not mad at them at all, however I was really mad at myself.

I will add that my QT minus lights ran me NOTHING. I got some scrap plexi and assembled a box, and used my salt mixing pump for water movement and salt mixing heater, no filters. Lights could be as simple as a ballast $40 and 2- T-5's $50 and a rigged up reflector from tin foil.

Honestly though, I think TMPCC is the best dip out there, it will not kill many of the crabs but it will kill everything else within reason (triple the suggested amount)

However majano and aptasia are another problem. I have never had an issue with them but I have peppermints, who really knows if thats what kills them off i my tank, but thats why they are in there.

Good luck.

Nyles,

Thank you for your explanitory reply. I appologize for comming off in such a scorching manner. I understand responsibility, but also fear those who would knowingly take advantage of another. In the case of the majanos...I feel strongly this is the case. None the less, I spoke my mind of it, with out implicating a soul-I feel by doing that, I would only stoop to their level. The fact is, I have these and I am trying to find way to eradicate them, not pay the penalty of getting them with a brisk tounge lashing. As humans, we often learn things the hard way, and I have had my lesson and paid for it.

Now, if you have any suggestions I would be open for them...so far Joe's Juice and Kalk...and as we speak, one of my snails is crawling over the pile of Kalk I left ontop of one of those majanos yesterday. I am considering removing any rock that have these things on it, so they can't spread further. The problem is the devil's hand. It sits upon a rock with the most inhabitants. It already has a necrosed part of its stem due to stings (I assume) from the majanos that WERE surrounding it. I already pulled out that rock and lifted off as many as I could.

I have been told that I can use a razor and cut very close to the base of the devil's hand and re-glue it to another rock. At this point, this may be the only option, that or chiseling away every bit of it.

Kris

I understand, and I can see how my post would get read that way, thats why its nice to talk face to face.

I have not had to much experience with Majano, I did have some and lucky me they where in the nano I have. I simply pulled the rock and let it dry for a week, then put it back in after the Majano died off. Unfortunately most of us don't have that luxury. If I could not pull the rock I would kalk them, it seems to work for most people with a syringe (most everyone has a salifert syringe) just watch out that stuff gets HOT when you mix it. I have also heard of people injecting boiling water and having good results. I would stick with Kalk paste or Joes. If you don't get on it soon they will drive you to drinkin.

After the day I have had, the cold one is already cracked!!! I can pull out some of the rock, actually most of the rock that has the few on it. The one I am really concerned about has the devils hand on it. As mentioned (or asked) before, can I slice it off of the rock without damage? This one rock has about 20 on it and I don't think the coral would like being out for a week...LOL.

I will try the kalk paste again on the others.

Kris

I would try and chisel that off in a small portion if possible or second choice pry it from the rock usually works, cutting is ok but its difficult sometimes to reattach, I usually only do that if I am fragging, they don't like super glue. Best way is set on substrate with a rock on its base to attach, but it takes at least a week just like xenia.

I have had a small leather coral that I had cut off of one rock, and attached to a different rock (actually a shell). I used super glue, a loose rubber band, and it was wedged into a really low flow area of the tank. Once it attached it was as good as new.

dsoz

Thanks again for the advice. I remember trying to get that Xenia to attach! Anyway...things look a little better this morning. Perhaps that super thick paste and no PH for about 6 hours (I forgot to plug them back in and woke up in a panic at 2 am this morning!) may have worked. I managed to disect two of the big majanos off of two unoccupied rock. I did this out of the tank as the squirt (gamates from what I hear) about six inches when extremely disturbed. Those rock are sitting in a bucket of salt water that I pulled out from a recent water change. I am going to go and pick up a 10 gal glass aquarium today and set it up as a QT tank. I have definately learned my lesson about these hitch-hickers!

From now on, ANYTHING new will go into the tank for 3 weeks minimum before going into my display. I just hope that everything else in there already will continue to carry on healthy! Goodness knows I would hate to get back on and ask for help about something that is sick! Nyles might really get after me then....just kidding!

BTW Nyles...I am really sorry for my temperment yesterday. I value your help and your opinions, as I do the rest of the fine individuals on this site.

Kris