Who do you root for, Maxspect or Apex?

Trailermann

I can't decide, so I need your help.  

Maxspect Gyre XF 250 with controller and second pump  $500

Neptune System Apex WAVs with 1Link  $500

This would be for a SPS heavy mixed reef tank, 120 gallons.

Circulation, appearance, control?  Is the second pump really needed?

• Like 1

I can’t  speak for the wave system, but I can tell you I love my gyre with apex controllability! I am deffinatly gonna get a 2nd soon and do away with my opposing mp10. The mp10 works good but the gyre is amaizing due to going over the top instead of shooting in a circle and dosnt suck air when it’s a close to the surface. Again I have no experience with the wav pumps. They l deffinatly look to be awesome and apex has been a great experience for me with all the products I have run! 👍🏻

It really depends on what your rock scape layout is, coral placement ect... but you for sure don’t NEED 2 I have my gyre xf130 and mp10 oscillating to kind of evenly give the coral even flow both ways the xf130 reverse gyre is kind of a joke, but the newer xf250 could be better. I’m no expert just my experience but 1 will deffinatly work great! I am deffinatly getting another gyre in the near future. 

Edited by 503reefland

13 hours ago, xmas_one said:

I can’t speak to Neptune WAVs, but Gyres are garbage. You might as well get Jebao and replace them every year when they fail. Get a couple MP40s and call it a day.

Funny!  I was going to recommend Jebaos over the WAV.  I have several years on all 4 of my WP-60s (do they even make those anymore?)  But the quality can be hit and miss for sure.

15 hours ago, xmas_one said:

I can’t speak to Neptune WAVs, but Gyres are garbage. You might as well get Jebao and replace them every year when they fail. Get a couple MP40s and call it a day.

Interesting.  I have been casually eying the gyres as a possible replacement if/when the last of my old x-waves die so am curious as to why you don't like them.  Not trying to argue at all as I have no experience but honestly just curious what yours has been.  Sounds like perhaps a reliability issue?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, albertareef said:

Sounds like perhaps a reliability issue?

I think that's exactly what xmas_one is referring too. When these came out a few years back there were nothing but constant complaints of how cheaply the build felt and numerous reports of them dying. Over the last year or two those complaints have seemed to have subsided since the XF130 was discontinued. I personally have only met a couple people who actually own and use them and they seem to be happy with them, and I have seen several people on Reef2Reef with large gorgeous tanks that swear by them as well. I personally like my Ecotechs but if I actually had a much larger tanks I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

10 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I think that's exactly what xmas_one is referring too. When these came out a few years back there were nothing but constant complaints of how cheaply the build felt and numerous reports of them dying. Over the last year or two those complaints have seemed to have subsided since the XF130 was discontinued. I personally have only met a couple people who actually own and use them and they seem to be happy with them, and I have seen several people on Reef2Reef with large gorgeous tanks that swear by them as well. I personally like my Ecotechs but if I actually had a much larger tanks I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.

Thanks for the info Exodus.  I have seen them in a couple of really nice member tanks recently and also at one of the LFS in town but haven't dug into their track record at all.  Good feedback.

I haven’t had my gyre for a real long time but I haven’t had a single issue, mines dead silent. With that being said it deffinatly has a lot more peices than say  a mp-10, so I clean mine once a month. I think most of the flaws on the gyres have been addressed, and the wav, echotech, and gyres all have there own give and takes for sure. 

I’ve got two xf230s on my 90g, and would say that’s plenty for a 120 as well. I was a jebao fan boy and loved them, except they burned out on me every time at the one year mark. Tried mp40 years ago but too loud. Never tried apex brand pumps, and not a fan of all in one controllers. I love the gyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran multiple gyres in a couple tanks and have nothing but positives to say. They are quiet unless running wide open, I never had a single issue with anything taking a dump, easy to clean, way better flow than the vortech I had. The only thing that I think they could improve on is making a smaller one so I can run it in my nano and it not look so huge!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk