Please give me your thoughts on my sump design...

reefgeek84

Ok, so I really have no idea how to design a sump, so please let me know what should be changed on my design, please do not make fun of the drawing, it is very amature and was put together quickly...

Dimensions

20"Lx14"Wx16"H skimmer is going to be a bubble master 200 - foot print 12.7 x 8.6 (its going to be a tight fit in the sump, but it should fit...

sump.jpg

the big section of the baffles w/the nubs, will hold piece of egg crated where I will put filter bags of media and some sponge...I will also have a couple of phos/carbon reactors...somewhere in there...

So please give me your thoughts and suggestions...Thanks.

I think its too complicated' date=' a simple over under before the pump should be enough. I would use a micron bag for the input into the sump. ALso, by making the sump fit so perfect to the skimmer, your really limiting what you can do later.[/quote']

thanks...I got my baffle ideas from eshops sumps...I do not like micron bags, they need to be changed so often cause they get so dirty... I am considering dropping one of the crazy baffles...it will give me some more room for the skimmer as well...

I have added micron bags to my setup in the last few months, I clean them weekly with my WC, as long as I shut off my return while feeding they stay pretty darn clean. I would highly recommend what Joel is saying. you could also remove the first section of baffles and just build a bubble trap, I made one for my sump and its worked GREAT.

Here is an example, just subtract the refugium area. and note the water "in" from the right. http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/m/sump_model_m.html

This is very similar to what I have but the refugium is inline do to cabinet restrictions.

Make sure the skimmer section is the right height for your particular skimmer. Also, i think it is important that your return section (where your return pump is) is as big as you can make it, due to evaporation if you make it too small you will constantly need to fill with water. If it is large you will not need to top off as often. If you have an auto top off this would not matter.

Make sure the skimmer section is the right height for your particular skimmer. Also' date=' i think it is important that your return section (where your return pump is) is as big as you can make it, due to evaporation if you make it too small you will constantly need to fill with water. If it is large you will not need to top off as often. If you have an auto top off this would not matter.[/quote']

Will be running an auto top of system...

Guest Mbeef61

way too compicated...i have never had to run over-under baffles...unless you are running crazy flow through there i think just a simple over the top baffle would work fine as well as clearing up a few inches, my 33 long has one large baffle where water enters and where skimmer sets....then a smaller one to seperate return pump....no bubbles whatsoever.

IMO, 3" between baffles is overkill unless you're running lots of flow through your sump...2" is plenty. That would give more room for a skimmer upgrade in the future, if you want to.

-Sol

The baffles will be holding media on egg crate so the water will be running over it...that is why they are so big...I am not sure I will need to up grade skimmers (who knows with me though right?)...the bubble master I am looking at is rated for a 250gal tank....

Guest Mbeef61

this is what my design is like....if you can even see it...the weird thing on the right is a skimmer...i need to learn how to resize or something

middle compartment is phosban and carbon and used to be chaeto.

conv_1745.bmp