Help with apex firmware update

Oregonic

This is turning into a nightmare trying to update my apex classic. I have both the apex and my laptop plugged directly into my router and i can see the apex at ip 192.168.0.12. When i go to update firmware the it trys to connect to 192.168.0.15 then just gets stuck. Any suggestions, see attached photos of where it is getting stuck. I have tried resetting the apex several times and i have my firewall off. Im at a loss.  I just posted this on R2R aswell hopeing someone between the 2 sites knows how to solve this issue quickly, got ethernet cords strung across the living room want to have it picked up before the wife gets home :fingerscrossed:image.jpg  

It looks as if it found the device, set it into boot mode and then looses its connection with the device unable to load the new firmware. As it looses connection with the Apex when in boot mode there could be a couple issues here.. I would suggest trying to update the bootloader 1st by going to system bootloader update on the display

• Like 2

Just tried and screen just flashes then returns back to where i can select “bootloader update”. What seems weird is the ip of the apex 192.168.0.12 and then it trys to connect to 192.168.0.15 as soon as i click update firmware. Do i need to unplug everything from the apex prior to running the firmware update?

Do you have your settings saved somewhere? On the Apex display do a System Reset, System->Init memory->All
 this will typically fix about every problem, I know it seems drastic, but it typically works. Also As I mentioned make sure your settings are Saved, this will erase them.

Edited by Exodus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Exodus said:

Do you have your settings saved somewhere? On the Apex display do a System Reset, System->Init memory->All
 this will typically fix about every problem, I know it seems drastic, but it typically works. Also As I mentioned make sure your settings are Saved, this will erase them.

Good point!

More tips from APEX..

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?18-Problems-updating-firmware

Problems updating firmware

Issues with updating your firmware:

• Make sure you can access your controller via your home PC or Mac WITHOUT any wireless, either between your PC/MAC and your router or between your Apex and router. If you can't do that, you won't be able to update the web pages.

• Backup your program first. While the firmware update should not bother your program, it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, you need a backup anyway. Use the 'Load/Save' web page to do this. NOTE: This is absolutely essential when you upgrade to 4.30. You CANNOT go back to 4.20 without initializing your controller. If you don't have a saved copy of your program, you have to re-enter everything by hand!

• If you get 'timeout' errors or errors in copying web pages:

-Disable any anti-virus programs that are running and try again
-Ensure your IP address or hostname and port numbers are correct in the loader
-Ensure your userID and password is correct in the loader
-Restart your PC in 'Safe Mode with Networking' (Windows only) and try again
-If you have a switch in your home network, make sure your PC and your controller are both on the switch (vs. one on the switch and one on the router)
-Do you have other network devices on your home network - game consoles, video streaming, etc? Unplug them and try again.

• If you still have problems:

-Power OFF your controller including disconnecting any secondary power
-Start the firmware update
-Wait for the loader to 'timeout' once or twice
-Power up your controller
-This may take a couple of tries, just repeat the process starting with powering OFF the controller

• Still having trouble? Connect a laptop directly to your controller:

• Like 1

Just now, Oregonic said:

Thanks you two. I will try again tomorrow night with these tips to see if it makes a difference, to frustrated and tired to continue this journey tonight. I will let you know how it goes, thank you again. 

Good luck!!  Let us know how it turns out...

• Like 1

Got it finally :enthralled:  Had run windows in safe mode with networking. Then is the apex flash utility I had to manually change the IP address on the apex in the configure section, which can be found if you click the magnifying glass, from 192.168.0.12 to 192.168.015. Firmware updated went first try after that. After firmware update apex reset and set the ip back to 182.168.0.12. Had to update web pages under the original ip ending in .12. What a pain bit now i should be able to hook up the dos that i pirchased. Thank you everyone who helped point me in the right direction. :highfive:

• Like 1

I should have totally had you look at mine while you were here!  LOL!  I've been putting off that update for months, and now my display module has died.  Looks like I can't put it off any longer.  I'm glad you got your update worked out.  Inspires me to buck up and give it a try myself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gil&Fin said:

I should have totally had you look at mine while you were here!  LOL!  I've been putting off that update for months, and now my display module has died.  Looks like I can't put it off any longer.  I'm glad you got your update worked out.  Inspires me to buck up and give it a try myself.

Just had a guy on reef2reef with a dead display after a power outage a reset fixed the issue.