What happens when tanks get natural light from windows?

youcallmenny

Thank you, Kim!  We are really excited about the tank possibilities here.  I suppose that's enough of an answer.  I'll just block the light with thicker coverings. 

On this note, here's where the 650 reefer peninsula is going. Right in the middle between the windows.  Vicky's computer desk and mine will go on either side, each desk in front of the window facing towards the tank.  I'm going to tile the area under the tank since it's carpeted.

You can put tanks on tile, right? 

1508780278167-808989131.jpg

Edited by youcallmenny

I had a bunch of algae for a couple weeks, but it seems my chaeto can even outcompete the natural light...  

It wasn't an option to keep the light away from that end of my tank, but it seems to have stabilized and I don't really get more algae there than anywhere else now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Thank you, Kim!  We are really excited about the tank possibilities here.  I suppose that's enough of an answer.  I'll just block the light with thicker coverings. 

On this note, here's where the 650 reefer peninsula is going. Right in the middle between the windows.  Vicky's computer desk and mine will go on either side, each desk in front of the window facing towards the tank.  I'm going to tile the area under the tank since it's carpeted.

You can put tanks on tile, right? 

1508780278167-808989131.jpg

That is a great area. No it won't hurt corals and Sirena's issue was she had a nano so couldn't add a tang or too! With that kind of room you can add lots of different tangs. People will give you lots of different opinions about which is the best algae eaters. I have had the best luck with the purple tang though some like the Tomini.  Hippo tangs just so you know are not good algae eaters which I learned the hard way. When I first started out that was the first one I got. I told the LFS that it was not eating algae and he told me it was because I was feeding too much. So I stopped feeding and they started eating my acans.  Years later I learned from Coral Magazine that they are not good grazers at all.  Laura Simmons also highly recommended Rabbit fish.

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

That is a great area. No it won't hurt corals and Sirena's issue was she had a nano so couldn't add a tang or too! With that kind of room you can add lots of different tangs. People will give you lots of different opinions about which is the best algae eaters. I have had the best luck with the purple tang though some like the Tomini.  Hippo tangs just so you know are not good algae eaters which I learned the hard way. When I first started out that was the first one I got. I told the LFS that it was not eating algae and he told me it was because I was feeding too much. So I stopped feeding and they started eating my acans.  Years later I learned from Coral Magazine that they are not good grazers at all.  Laura Simmons also highly recommended Rabbit fish.

Great insight there on future fish plans.  I have to confess, I am not a fan of tangs in general.  I've had several and always rehomed them.  Generally just too aggressive for me.  My reef is as peaceful as a hippie commune, ideally.   Lawnmower blennies are my goto along with lots of inverts.  To each their own, I suppose.  :highfive::peace:

I do have both a tomini tang and a yellow tank in my tank.  The do pick at the glass and rocks a lot, but they didn't come near the algae that was growing because of the sunlight (it was probably too long by the time they got in there), and half of the problem was inside my overflow anyhow.

2 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Great insight there on future fish plans.  I have to confess, I am not a fan of tangs in general.  I've had several and always rehomed them.  Generally just too aggressive for me.  My reef is as peaceful as a hippie commune, ideally.   Lawnmower blennies are my goto along with lots of inverts.  To each their own, I suppose.  :highfive::peace:

Tangs get a bad rap for this. When you realize that they travel miles in a day out in the wild grazing with a lot of space you can understand the aggression. In my 60 gallon I only have one purple tang. I would say in a peninsula that size you could have one or 2. Purple tangs are known for being aggressive but I never had issues with mine. Sometimes he would chase the other fish when they were in his territory and I'm sure if I had added another tang it would have beat it to death.  I kept my fish population to a minimum for the space I had and never had an issue. Maybe I can relate because I don't like being in crowds either! :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...