Need some replacement lighting help.

Sean.G

So to keep things short my old light (Orbit USA Pro something or the other) broke, salt corroded a wire and I was not able to make a lasting repair on it. I'm trying to find some cheap lighting I can get away with for my ~2 foot cube (Reefer Nano) and I really just want to keep what I already have alive, all softies right now. Ideally I could keep some higher light requirement stuff towards the top of my tank but I'm looking for cheap not perfect. I don't really have a hard price limit, but around $150 is what I am trying to find. I've looked at T5 setups but the price of bulbs and need to replace them relatively often turns me off to them.

Any advice appreciated.

Some people swear by them (black boxes) and others don't...I do! Especially if all you have are softies at the moment. It'll even grow sps! Just make sure you get a black box with full spectrum. I now run a Reefi light in my display and black boxes over my sump and frag tank.
To each is own, tho...

Sent from my Man Cave while having a cold one! [emoji41]

• Like 1

I upgraded from black boxes to Ocean Revives.  I do feel the ocean revives do a better job and yet are still a great value.

I rarely claim facts but here goes:

Fact:  There are a number of extremely nice tanks you can visit in the PNWMAS area running Ocean Revives.

That is what swayed me finally after all these years.  Guess I can be a bit stubborn :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm probably gonna go with a "black box" since it seems like they aren't just trash and will get me by fine for now. Or if I can find a used Ocean Revive or a used AI prime but I'm not expecting much on those fronts.

4 hours ago, Sean.G said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm probably gonna go with a "black box" since it seems like they aren't just trash and will get me by fine for now. Or if I can find a used Ocean Revive or a used AI prime but I'm not expecting much on those fronts.

Used AI Primes are available on Nano-Reef & Reef2Reef all the time. I personally would avoid Black boxes myself, Ocean Revive is known for results but they have a name therefore they are not a typical no name black box.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting a viparspectra brand black box off amazon was only $129 and has an average review score of 4.5 with around 100 reviews so I am pretty hopeful its a decent setup. Thanks for the advice everyone.  Arrives next Monday.

Edited by Sean.G