internal or external skimmer

pdxmonkeyboy

hey gang,

I was hoping to get a little info on the benefits/downsides of an external skimmer. I need a skimmer for my new 200 gallon sps tank. I was looming at the reef octopus 3000 internal or the mrc mr3 or an MTC mvx30.

All of them get great reviews but i have read the venturi designs are more effective. The issue is my stand is om the shorter side so perhaps an external.design woukd be better?

any advice is appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have only had 1 external skimmer and I would in no way ever go back to that option. I guess it all depends on the model your using but the biggest issue I had is if not set correctly with a collection cup, if the unit does overflow, Its not back in the sump or tank, its on the floor or in the stand :)

It's not if, but when the cup overflows. There are so many things that can make the skimmer go nuts, to me it's not worth having it outside the sump. How new are the venturi design reviews you're reading? Ive had Venturi and downdraft designs in the past and the current method of Venturi on pump inlet has blown away those other methods ime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also run both.  Aside from the overflow issue (which I can relate to) the other things to consider are footprint and sump design.  I you have room and want to go large then external can give you some additional flexibility as you won't be confined by your sump chamber compartment dimensions.  This also allows you to not worry about the effect of the sump level on your skimmer performance as most in sump models are sensitive to the "resting" water level.  You can, of course, compensate for this to a degree by putting skimmers on risers and/or using the built in return adjustments to help optimize but it is something to consider. I would recommend either using a sump with a constant level compartment for the skimmer or have a really good ATO setup with level detector cutouts on the skimmer for those unforeseen circumstances (this is what I run).

Anyway - lots of great skimmers in both groups so you really have lots of options.   If you were running a remote sump in waterproof location (e.g. cement floor with drain) I would lean toward and external just for the flexibility of size/design but I don't have that option :teardrop: