The Next BIG Reefer

GumdropDan

Hey there Reefers!

This is my first post, and most importantly my first reef tank. As a kid, I would always try to convince my parents to let me get a saltwater tank, and for a moment there I had convinced them to get me one, that is until my mom got a swarm of advice to stay clear of saltwater because "it's too complicated for a kid".I was then given a freshwater tank, 1 UGLY fish, some plastic rocks and no proper equipment. It was a sad childhood indeed lol. 

Let me tell you my story, if you care to read on. I'm a bit of a story teller. 

Now I am 24, I have an amazing job, and more importantly my own tank. I started collecting all the necessary equipment about a year ago when I walked into Saltwater Obsessions in Gresham, located right here in the great PNW. They had a beautiful display tank and before I knew it, I was a kid again running around looking at all the fish. As soon as I saw the corals, man oh man, I was instantly hooked. Most people start off in the hobby because of the fish, but for me, it was always about the corals. That same day I bought a 90 gallon tank, it was pretty beat up, but I sure do love a project. Filled with excitement, I took the tank outside into the parking lot, a few moments later, I looked at my 4 door corolla and realized, this tank isn't going to fit in my car at all. As I stood there confused, the store owner's buddy offered to take the tank to my house, I couldn't have thanked him enough. I spent the next few weeks sanding, painting, resealing and updating all the hardware. 

Later on, I found out my apartment could not support the weight of a the 90 gallon reef tank, not including the sump I was going to add. About 9 months later I stumbled on a JBJ 45 Gallon Rimless tank for $150! These tanks are easily sold for around $700 and the only problem with it, was it needed to be resealed. I quickly jumped on it and drove about 2 hours to get there and another 2 to get back. 

I spent the weekend working on the tank, about 12 hours each day trying to get this tank ready. Now the tank is resealed, cleaned and ready for rocks. I just ordered some dry rocks and should be here in about a week. Thanks Bulk Reef Supply!

I am so grateful that I will be able to start reefing, after a year of hard research I think Im ready to get started. 

Keep on Reefing! 

20170728_191745.jpg

20170728_192911.jpg

20170802_160703.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome!  Glad you found the forum and decided to share your story so far.  Tank cleaned up nicely!  Good luck getting it wet and starting your cycling and stocking phases.  As you probably already noticed, there is a lot of good advice buried on these pages and it definitely pays to do some searching and reading as you head into your build.  Enjoy your new tank... if you are like the rest of us it is likely to be the first of many to come.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Welcome!  Glad you found the forum and decided to share your story so far.  Tank cleaned up nicely!  Good luck getting it wet and starting your cycling and stocking phases.  As you probably already noticed, there is a lot of good advice buried on these pages and it definitely pays to do some searching and reading as you head into your build.  Enjoy your new tank... if you are like the rest of us it is likely to be the first of many to come.

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait to start documenting my progress. Saltwater tanks is a living art. Maintaining this form of art is all science and great science is great observation!  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...