Jump to content

Hangin' in Hawaii!


Recommended Posts

We just got here today. Staying at a beach house that is pretty amazing! We are on the northern end of Oahu. Scuba certification starts tomorrow, but I snapped some video from snorkeling in the back yard. Definitely a lot of sediment floating around so it kind of cuts the visibility down. Hopefully the pictures and videos are fun to watch. A lot are pretty repeative, but hey! Its awesomeseeing all this in the wild. A lot of tangs around here. And then a bunch of other fish that I can't personally identify. Maybe some of you can.  And make sure you see the video with the giant turtle, that thing had a shell about 4 feet!

Anyway, here ya go!!

 

 

GOPR0114.JPG

GOPR0121.JPG

GOPR0106.JPG

IMG_20170712_202322.jpg

IMG_20170712_201946.jpg

IMG_20170712_201930.jpg

IMG_20170712_202105.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice! Once I took Sirena to Hawaii she was spoiled and now knows what I'm talking about when I say the Oregon coast water is too cold and cloudy.

Yeah, Oregon coast is certainly not a warm place. Super tough to get motivated to get in that water.

Nice i am i maui right now hope you guys have fun. You should go on the Atlantis sub really cool they take you down 130 feet its a lot of fun.

Nice! Someone else was telling me about that earlier. Have a good one over there!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, Emerald525 said:

Nice! Once I took Sirena to Hawaii she was spoiled and now knows what I'm talking about when I say the Oregon coast water is too cold and cloudy.

Take her to the Mediterranean - I heard it's really cold there! :laugh: (Or not... never letting myself live that one down!)

Years before I was interested in the reef hobby, I snorkeled reefs in Maui and snapped pictures of the pretty fish without a clue what I was seeing. A decade later, I came across the pictures and found myself saying, "Look at the wrasse! It's one of my favorites; I can't believe I saw it in the wild and didn't fully appreciate it!"

Went to Oahu once, as well, but storms prevented any time in the water. Glad you're enjoying nice weather and having fun diving! Certification is on my to-do list.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

Take her to the Mediterranean - I heard it's really cold there! :laugh: (Or not... never letting myself live that one down!)

Years before I was interested in the reef hobby, I snorkeled reefs in Maui and snapped pictures of the pretty fish without a clue what I was seeing. A decade later, I came across the pictures and found myself saying, "Look at the wrasse! It's one of my favorites; I can't believe I saw it in the wild and didn't fully appreciate it!"

Went to Oahu once, as well, but storms prevented any time in the water. Glad you're enjoying nice weather and having fun diving! Certification is on my to-do list.

Yeah I can totally get that! Hopefully you get that cert done. I don't know when/how often I'll be doing scuba in tropical climates, but it's nice to have it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome!  Congrats man and thaks for sharing the pics. Looks like you got to see quite a bit the last couple of days. I have to say though, I am a bit concerned that that tank isn't quite big enough for that yellow tang[emoji50]


Right?! One thing I definitely noticed was the sheer size of these fish. I'm talking Naso tangs that are easily 15+". Even longer if you consider the tail fin streamers. I didn't even know they got that big. Massive Copperbands, convict tangs, groupers, two and a half feet parrot fish. I know captive raised specimens won't max out like wild fish, but all these different fish are just huge!
Congrats Andrew! How difficult was it to get certified and what do you think about scuba?

The certification wasn't too bad. I guess it depends on each person's level of comfort within the water. There's a few exercises that may be difficult. You have to remove your mask at thirty feet, put it back on, and clear it. Swap regulators at depth, learn to maintain neutral buoyancy, take your equipment on and off, navigate with a compass and a bunch of other random stuff.

And then there's the dreaded 200 yards swim and ten minute water tread. Ugh. All in all its pretty straightforward. Just a big list of things you have to demonstrate, plus 4 open water dives. Definitely worth it if you want to travel somewhere warm. But even if you don't wanna get certified, you can still scuba with a dive instructor after a couple hours of pool instruction.

As for what I think of scuba? It is freaking amazing! There are few things in life that can compare with that exhilaration. If I had an endless supply of funds, I'd dive all the time.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

 


Right?! One thing I definitely noticed was the sheer size of these fish. I'm talking Naso tangs that are easily 15+". Even longer if you consider the tail fin streamers. I didn't even know they got that big. Massive Copperbands, convict tangs, groupers, two and a half feet parrot fish. I know captive raised specimens won't max out like wild fish, but all these different fish are just huge!

The certification wasn't too bad. I guess it depends on each person's level of comfort within the water. There's a few exercises that may be difficult. You have to remove your mask at thirty feet, put it back on, and clear it. Swap regulators at depth, learn to maintain neutral buoyancy, take your equipment on and off, navigate with a compass and a bunch of other random stuff.

And then there's the dreaded 200 yards swim and ten minute water tread. Ugh. All in all its pretty straightforward. Just a big list of things you have to demonstrate, plus 4 open water dives. Definitely worth it if you want to travel somewhere warm. But even if you don't wanna get certified, you can still scuba with a dive instructor after a couple hours of pool instruction.

As for what I think of scuba? It is freaking amazing! There are few things in life that can compare with that exhilaration. If I had an endless supply of funds, I'd dive all the time.

 

I grew up in Texas and swam a lot so pretty comfortable in the water.i can tread water for hours no problem but I'm more buoyant than you?.  Sounds like you did just fine and glad you are enjoying it.  I may have to try it with a dive instructor next time I make it to Hawaii. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dang man, Official Certified scuba, congratulations. Some nice shots in there too, what kind of water proof camera did you end up finding? I have a point and click Fuji but it is kinda meh. I know those nicer models are not cheap.

Thanks for sharing the adventure, I will check out those vids once you get em loaded up. Did you have someone get a couple shots of you in the water?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, badxgillen said:

Dang man, Official Certified scuba, congratulations. Some nice shots in there too, what kind of water proof camera did you end up finding? I have a point and click Fuji but it is kinda meh. I know those nicer models are not cheap.

Thanks for sharing the adventure, I will check out those vids once you get em loaded up. Did you have someone get a couple shots of you in the water?

Sorry for the late response man.  I borrowed a GoPro from one of my friends and my parents also had a waterproof camera that I took some video with.  Unfortunately I left those videos on my parent's memory card, so hopefully I'll get them soon enough.

Here are a few videos though!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice man. Scuba diving is one of my favorite things to do. Hawaii is awesome for it, but now you have to go to Cozumel :D So bomb. Cozumel is so warm I have scuba'd without a wetsuit. Once you get the itch, it's like the ocean is calling. 

It looks like the reefs are actually better when I dove there last. That is a great thing! 

There are some pretty easy presets to color correct photo's from a go pro from diving if the color bothers you. I only mention because you mentioned the "better camera equipment". Some simple color adjustments might help you get closer to what your looking for. 

So, you reaquascaping the tank now? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...