How bad is this?

I was doing a full detail on my tank (maybe scrubbing the joints too hard) when I noticed these:

7465655f455374ba06f44f050d918cda.jpg

86d18f215e71d4237d62bf034fca16fb.jpg

It looks like the silicone is comming loose? They're near the bottom front. I melted the cross member with my halides by accident (duh!). Now both front and back bow out about 1/8th of an inch because the cross member stretched. Is it garbage now? I have very little experience with glass tanks.

af28155ae14b9c57461a6478eb910d17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Its hard to make a determination from just those photos, but if the glass is beginning to bow, that's putting extra stress on silicone joints and from what it sounds like all sides :unsure:

While silicone has an extremely strong bond when it comes to Glass on Glass, and it may very well hold up for some time, I personally think that time is limited. I personally would prefer the piece of mind not worrying that my tank may end up on the floor and look into getting a new tank.

That's just my thoughts though.

• Like 2

That first picture looks scary. Are you seeing any salt creep?

My 75 gallon has a little silicone degradation somewhat like the second picture and still holds perfectly fine. Mine was mainly from when I first started and brought the scraper too close to the silicone. For what it's worth, I've had mine for 5-6 years now with similar damage, but not to that extent. 

If the tank isn't too big, it wouldn't hurt to replace it. 

• Like 1

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. No salt creep yet. The only thing that worries me is that it's not a shallow tank. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one that fits my stand.

11 hours ago, air561 said:

Any ideas on who will drill, plumb and silicone an overflow into a basic 65 gal glass aquarium? I can't find anything reef ready in a 65 gal.

Yeah, that's rough. I think if you really want to attempt an overflow on a non-drilled tank, then you should see if the glass is tempered or not. This can be done with a polarized lense and an LED light, such as your laptop monitor or a flashlight. 

Most common commercial tanks only have the bottom tempered, not the sides. That being said, you could always drill an overflow on the back wall. 

It should work, but I'd almost advise trying to start with a pre-drilled tank. It saves you time in drilling the tank, risk of breaking the tank and cost of buying the drill set.

• Like 2