Northwest Aquatics meeting

Sirena

Almighty folks, sorry for the slight delay, lotsa pictures to go through after work today. Lets see what stands out.

As you know the PNWMAS May 2017 meeting was held at the North West Aquatics aquaculture and breeding facility. We had the privilege of getting a behind the scenes tour of the whole operation.

SAM_9213.JPG

And what an operation it was, just look at this set of fish quarantine tanks. Rows and rows of 29 gallon tanks and 40 breeder.

SAM_9218.JPG

Take a look at this massive mixing station, I guess you gotta have plenty of water on hand for changes, top offs, and fresh water dips. There is a beast water pup that churns the reservoir and can be diverted to pump water from the bottom container into the other elevated bins.

SAM_9233.JPG

Next to the water station was a whole alcove dedicated to live food cultures, you know when you have this many animals being bred you would need it. 

SAM_9234.JPG

A mysis shrimp culturing vessel, he mentioned they are cannibalistic and need harvesting between spawning.

SAM_9235.JPG

A whole wall ready for another batch of artemia. Those seahorses sure are hungry all the time aren't they. They are hatching more shrimp our almost every day to try and keep up with demands.

SAM_9243.JPG

Here we have the room on the corner that housed the large tanks with the weedy sea dragons and the larger erectus seahorses. UV sterilizers and maximum filtration.

SAM_9241.JPG

And while talking about filtration, just take a look at this beast filter system! I heard you can get one fro the low price of $5000.00

After the tour Colby gave a presentation on quarantine procedures of new fish and ideal treatment methods for curing particular ailments.

• Like 2

Here are the kind folks that had us out right here, ready to educate all of us hobbyists about their t protocols. Hyposalinity, copper, prazi pro, fresh water dips and more treatments were covered in the quarantine talk. It was very informative.

SAM_9159.JPG

Tanna, J.P., and Colby here. They did a great job hosting and answering our questions. To be even more thorough in their discussion they included a fish biopsy for those of us who wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of it all.

SAM_9290.JPG

Microscope, gloves, small sharp scissors, and some glass slides. Here Tanna is talking about taking skin/scale scrapings and putting them under the microscope particularly infections, legions, or abrasions.

SAM_9295.JPG

Here she shows how to take a small gill clipping and fin sample via the small shears taking a sliver off for analysis under the scope. Intimidating too me on a live fish but I imagine one that has been sedated may be manageable. What we do for our fish.

• Like 2

And now for some shots of the club enjoying themselves.

SAM_9202.JPG

Everyone listening contently to the talk given by Colby, I think compared to a couple previous QT and treatment talks this one really hit home and made sense to alot of people. I learned a couple things thats for sure. Now what have we here?

SAM_9121.JPG

It's Lexinverts our vendor relations bringing the festivities! I also see InvertsRock and Kireek making an entrance, Time to get this party started!!

SAM_9147.JPG

Higher Thinking, XMas1, R3, and Chief chatting tank talk. Haven't seen any of these guys for a little while.

SAM_9312.JPG

Ron made a cameo, exchanged a couple sentences before he had to bounce out. I am glad you stopped in though man, always good seeing some of our local crew out here.

SAM_9139.JPG

Dawn here and Sirena in the background, nice meeting you and your family yesterday. Hopefully you all enjoyed yourselves and maybe we will be seeing you in the not too distant future. We have meetings about 11 months out of the year.

SAM_9292.JPG

I liked this picture of the coral flats being a focus of many peoples attentions, there was much to look at under those shiny bright blue LED lights it was amazing!

SAM_9116.JPG

I mean this is just one set of the trays there...Just Full of corals! 

Stay Out of There Miles!

• Like 1

How about some more people photos!?

SAM_9172.JPG
Flashy Fins drove all the way from Washington to be at the meeting, I know you like your reef fish so hopefully the drive was worth the experience. These guys are fish experts here.

SAM_9164.JPG\

I believe this was Boone's first PNWMAS meeting, and a good one to attend, looks like you enjoyed yourself too. I saw you walk away with some pretty nice acans there.

SAM_9400.JPG

After the talk and some mingling it was time for some raffles!

SAM_9402.JPG

I loved this picture I got of PDXMonkey. After he won the prize coral donated by North West Aquatics he was offered "something" out of the store and he says...To the coral fats! We might be able to fit that on the roof!..In your dreams!

• Like 1

Now how about some raffle winners!?

SAM_9314.JPG

PDXMonkey took home another prize, the coral magazine subscription! I love this magazine! Even more so when you don't have to pay for the thing :) Good reading here.

SAM_9328.JPG

Sirena and Emerald winning the All Things Aquarium Certificate! Happy Day!!!

SAM_9334.JPG

Aquarium Master's first meeting as well and he takes home a couple prizes too. A TPA certificate for $50.00 I believe, that shoule get him started out right.

SAM_9345.JPG

Kireek had a winning ticket, and received a $50.00 certificate to the Salem Premium Aquarium. Looks like a coral date to me.

SAM_9370.JPG

Reefer madness got in on the certificate winnings with a West Coast Corals $25.00 additional spending.

SAM_9364.JPG

Miles was presented with a WCC certificate as well.

SAM_9376.JPG

Higher Thinking landed another from West Coast Corals.

SAM_9350.JPG

Dominique too!!!

SAM_9410.JPG

Lexinverts made off with a nice zoanthid frag donated by our president, there were some nice looking polyps there Kim, good colors for sure.

SAM_9381.JPG

Albertareefs won a needle wheel venturi skimmer pump, always good to have back up...Or is this going to a new build?

And speaking of builds...

SAM_9398.JPG

That Santa Monica algae turf scrubber found a new home with R-3 here, and from what it sounds like he might be using it on a new nano being pieced together...But that is just from the rumor mill, not too sure on the credibility on said statement...But we can hope.

Another fine set of prizes from our generous sponsors, Thank You for suporting the PNWMAS Club!

And Congratulations everyone!!!

Thanks for participating, or raffle profits go towards the club so it is a win win for everybody really.

• Like 4

And now for some eye candy, you wanted to see some seahorses, corals, and fish? Here are a few for you to wet your whistle on.

SAM_9098.JPG

Beetlejuice Acans

SAM_9096.JPG

Heliofungias

SAM_9100.JPG

Crazy Open Brains!

SAM_9104.JPG
Hawaiian Zoas

SAM_9174.JPG

Grade ! Scollys.

SAM_9179.JPG

Blastos aplenty

SAM_9184.JPG

Acans galore!

SAM_9248.JPG

Harems of seahorses!

SAM_9226.JPG

Schools of Anthias

SAM_9203.JPGSAM_9204.JPGSAM_9208.JPG

Rare and sought after angels and tangs!

And lets not forget about those wonderful Weedy Sea Dragons!

SAM_9277.JPG

A Trio

SAM_9267.JPG

Side Profile of one

SAM_9254.JPG

The back, lets you see some of the "barbs" and "Tassels" on the skin.

SAM_9284.JPG

These things are crazy, a little too specialized for me but still very cool.

• Like 7

Great pics as always Bert!  Thanks for doing all the documentation work... love getting to see the meeting recaps - even if I was there!  Plus now I can finally put faces to names for lots of folk on here - including the legendary Chief and R3!  

15 hours ago, spectra said:

Well now he needs a tank for it......

Red Sea peninsula maybe...............

Not a Red Sea but it will be peninsula! Picked up a new 4x2x2 with black silicone and a synergy reef overflow. Got a couple MP40's and a Teklight. Need to build a stand and get a return pump/skimmer/sump combo and I'll be ready. Ohh yeah I gotta install some more hardwood floors before I do all that lol!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

It looks like a great meeting. I'm bummed out more than you know that I couldn't be there. Bert, as always, your write-ups are very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

We missed you!  Darcy had to draw some of the raffle tickets in your absence (she didn't pull any of mine though).  It was super informative and really interesting to see and hear about their operation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil&Fin said:

It looks like a great meeting. I'm bummed out more than you know that I couldn't be there. Bert, as always, your write-ups are very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Your absence was heart breaking...still trying to get over it.

Thanks for the photos Robert! And the corals! And the awesome conversation!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

Your absence was heart breaking...still trying to get over it.

Thanks for the photos Robert! And the corals! And the awesome conversation!

And thank you for the frag Andrew!  Looking like it survived the trip OK - will be interested to see how it grows out. Good to see you!