Wanted: Stomatella, BrittleStars, Limpets

Since using dry rock I want to add some small critters back into my rocks.

if someone has a few stomatellas I would apprectiate some. I have one and it's lonely.

the same for brittlestars, just need a few to get them going.

If someone has limpets or Chitons I would take some as well.. pretty unlikely since they are rarer of the hitchhikers.

Would take handouts, will come pick them up. I can also frag off a piece of pink gorgonian if you want.

Edited by Sasquatch

I have brittle stars, but I don't think I could get them out of the tank, since they retract into the rock the minute they feel anything other than food touching their legs. If I do manage to get a good hold on a couple of legs, they just abandon them. :blink: 

I feel you on the desire for good hitchhikers, though. The downside to starting with clean, dry rocks and qt'ing everything is that I have no noticeable amphipod population, no stomatella snails, and no weird things to spend hours nailing down IDs on. In my first tank, which I started with live rock and added un-qt'ed corals and inverts to all the time, I had all sorts of freaky life forms. I also had murderous whelks, monti-eating nudis, and fish parasites, but hey, pros and cons to everything, right? :laugh:

19 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

I have brittle stars, but I don't think I could get them out of the tank, since they retract into the rock the minute they feel anything other than food touching their legs. If I do manage to get a good hold on a couple of legs, they just abandon them. :blink: 

I feel you on the desire for good hitchhikers, though. The downside to starting with clean, dry rocks and qt'ing everything is that I have no noticeable amphipod population, no stomatella snails, and no weird things to spend hours nailing down IDs on. In my first tank, which I started with live rock and added un-qt'ed corals and inverts to all the time, I had all sorts of freaky life forms. I also had murderous whelks, monti-eating nudis, and fish parasites, but hey, pros and cons to everything, right? :laugh:

If you have a separate rock to place down with a piece of food under overnight. Then the next morning one might be under the rock hiding. Just need 2, hopefully 3 to get them started.

as for the stomatella. I could give you mine to breed out a colony if no one else has any to spare

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

as for the stomatella. I could give you mine to breed out a colony if no one else has any to spare

If I ever run across mine again I will try and snag it for you. Would be a lot easier to keep track of them in your tank!  Also proabably less likely to get eaten. 

Edited by albertareef
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, albertareef said:

If I ever run across mine again I will try and snag it for you. Would be a lot easier to keep track of them in your tank!  Also proabably less likely to get eaten. 

I used to have this beauty. Chevron color and some that were red/pink shelled.

I miss that lineage I had going but that's been a few years. 

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

Edited by Sasquatch

2 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I got lots of mini brittle stars if your interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I would dig some stars. I am free Wednesday or Thursdays. Or most nights and can make the journey. 

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Those are cool!  Sadly, the one I saw wasn't nearly as colorful. 

Selective breeding. Those were the rare ones of the bunch. I know they come in a black morph also. I just want to get them going and someday everyone can have some

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

If you have a separate rock to place down with a piece of food under overnight. Then the next morning one might be under the rock hiding. Just need 2, hopefully 3 to get them started

Mine are the mini hitchhiker kind, so the trouble is that they live IN the rocks and never just under them. But if I manage to capture any, I'll pull them out for you. 

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

for the stomatella. I could give you mine to breed out a colony if no one else has any to spare

I has stomatellas breed in my old tank, but it wasn't intentional on my part. Not sure I'd be any good at purposely doing it. 

26 minutes ago, KenH said:

I have some stomatellas running around.  I can probably catch a couple for you if you want.  I'm located in Tigard.

Yes!!! I would love a few nice ones you can find. I would really want to get them going again. 

9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes!!! I would love a few nice ones you can find. I would really want to get them going again. 

Glad you found a source!  If you get them breeding again let me know... would love to have a little buddy for mine (I know it's in there somewhere).

55 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Glad you found a source!  If you get them breeding again let me know... would love to have a little buddy for mine (I know it's in there somewhere).

Will do. You are first on the list for Sasquatch's toenail snails

• Like 1

I have hundreds of the red/black brittle stars in my tanks, but like someone else said they're in the rocks. I see their legs waving like crazy when I feed my fish lol. Lots of the mini stars too those I could grab easy. I'll try that food under rock thing to see if it works and if it does I'll let you know! Are limpets the cone or pyramid shaped ones? Kinda look like this pic? If so I have lots 067dbf7be2036bf760465c5397f69ef5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G360AZ using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, TaylorW said:

I have hundreds of the red/black brittle stars in my tanks, but like someone else said they're in the rocks. I see their legs waving like crazy when I feed my fish lol. Lots of the mini stars too those I could grab easy. I'll try that food under rock thing to see if it works and if it does I'll let you know! Are limpets the cone or pyramid shaped ones? Kinda look like this pic? If so I have lots 067dbf7be2036bf760465c5397f69ef5.jpg

I would love to get some limpets if they are available. Seems your tank is full of life

check under rocks or small frags/rocks for the tiny legs starfish. At night they seem to walk around the tank and tuck into holes in the morning.. if you could scoop up a few I would come pick them up and really appreciate it

I would love to get some limpets if they are available. Seems your tank is full of life
check under rocks or small frags/rocks for the tiny legs starfish. At night they seem to walk around the tank and tuck into holes in the morning.. if you could scoop up a few I would come pick them up and really appreciate it

Yeah I've seemed to pick up a lot over time, so I'll see if I can get a few starfish into a couple smaller rocks for you, and I definitely have lots of limpets and the tiny starfish (white and blue) and I can easily pick both off the rocks and glass. I'll let you know