Trouble using new ro/do unit

Chadm73

Does anyone have any experience with a Kent Marine Hi-s 4 chamber Maxims unit? I got this in a recent tank purchase and have no idea how to use it. I couldn't find much online either. Any suggestions or pointers woould be hugely appreciated. Thank you! Do i use the water from the "out " line, and the other is waste? 

14939444720491272119676.jpg

14939445309701393672175.jpg

24 minutes ago, WingRider62 said:

Hey Chad, Im pretty sure the yellow line is the "In" from the tap, the blue one "Out" is your good water, and the one with the valve is you waste water.

That sounds about right.

8 minutes ago, Chadm73 said:

That's kinda what I was thinking also. I ran some for a while today. Man, thats a slow process. Thanks Dale.

RO units are a slow process ;) there are some units out there that use less water and are faster but they will cost you.

If you want to increase the output, you can get upgrade kits from places like BRS that add a 2nd membrane.  Basically it doubles the output of the unit so not only can you make water twice as fast but you also produce only half the amount of waste water for the same amount of output.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenH said:

If you want to increase the output, you can get upgrade kits from places like BRS that add a 2nd membrane.  Basically it doubles the output of the unit so not only can you make water twice as fast but you also produce only half the amount of waste water for the same amount of output.  

In addition to this mod, you should probably check your supply pressure to make sure it is optimal.  Below 60 psi or so, you probably won't be getting as efficient production as you could.  BRS did some controlled testing showing the output in relation to supply pressure and you can definitely tweak this to your advantage with a booster pump if so desired.  If I recall correctly, you could get increased efficiency between 60 to 90 psi but the video is worth a look if you are interested.  Good luck!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chadm73 said:

I think we are at 75 psi. Just patience on my part. Lol. If I can. Thanks again!!

Well, the patience thing is good training for pretty much everything else having to do with reefing :unsure:  I'm not any good at it either but I do get lots of practice!

One thing I forgot to mention. So the yellow is the in line, there's a blue with a meter hooked up to it showing me the numbers for the output that I have been saving that water, and a second blue I'm assuming is the waste line. On that second blue line, there is a valve and a cap. Could I treat it like a ball valve, close it up some to increase my output? I also don't want to damage it.