T5 light end of bulb burnt need help

reefbandit

I have a 4 bulb retrofit t5 system that was built into my canopy.  The system has 2 ballasts. Recently ive had the same bulb burn out than I replaced with another and this bulb is still working but has a burnt looking ring around one end.  What would cause this a bad ballast or other issues?  I dont know the history of this lighting system as i bought the tank used.

If you could post an image of what the bulb looks like, you're probably going to get more replies. Right off the bat, I suspect a flaky or failing ballast. Is the burned-looking ring on the inside of the bulb? Like the kind of gas ring these bulbs display when they're old and on the way out? If the burned ring is on the exterior, unplug that ballast as soon as possible and replace it.

23 hours ago, reefbandit said:

Recently ive had the same bulb burn out than I replaced with another and this bulb is still working but has a burnt looking ring around one end.  What would cause this a bad ballast or other issues?  

My guess is that the lamp socket is only making connection on one of the pins on the end of the bulb. 

Usually if the lamp is installed incorrectly that can happen. It can also melt the socket and you could have a fire. 

A pic would help...

Edited by chewie

Thanks for the replies.  I shut the light off via apex yesterday and when I got home I found the socket melted as described.  I'm glad it didn't catch the house on fire.  I used this as my excuse to place an order for a new Evergrow IT5080 led light.