2 part dosing

Lovesalt

Can I get a brief explanation on why to do this, which brand, etc...

Or do I need to if I have nems, mushrooms and mainly soft corals?

I'm confused about this.

I routinely have high calcium and low alk so do I need to do 2 part?

Someone edjamacate me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some of your imbalance could be caused by low magnesium levels. The way I understand it alk and ca need the mag to balance correctly.

If you are running a tank with mostly softies, I wouldn't think you would need to dose, water changes would be sufficient.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.

• Like 1

Calcium and alkalinity should only be dosed if they are needed. Most of the time, we experience fluctuations of calcium and alkalinity between water changes because...well..corals need them. Softys consume less of them, and likely will need little to no dosing. Water changes should be fine.

If you are curious, I would begin by measuring your calcium and alkalinity and see if they are in an acceptable range. These are still just rough numbers, but give you a good idea where you should be.

parameters_chart.jpg

If you are drastically below the range of your chemical or ion, I would begin dosing.

All brands work, just be consistent with what and when you dose. It's also a good idea to test more often than not.

• Like 1

Calcium and alkalinity should only be dosed if they are needed. Most of the time, we experience fluctuations of calcium and alkalinity between water changes because...well..corals need them. Softys consume less of them, and likely will need little to no dosing. Water changes should be fine.
If you are curious, I would begin by measuring your calcium and alkalinity and see if they are in an acceptable range. These are still just rough numbers, but give you a good idea where you should be.
parameters_chart.jpg
If you are drastically below the range of your chemical or ion, I would begin dosing.
All brands work, just be consistent with what and when you dose. It's also a good idea to test more often than not.

My calcium has been running around 500
And my alk 7-8. Seems like a big spread.
Mag was 1400 last I checked but that was a month ago.

21 minutes ago, Lovesalt said:

My calcium has been running around 500
And my alk 7-8. Seems like a big spread.
Mag was 1400 last I checked but that was a month ago.

That should be just fine for softies. I had an alk of 5 for a long time and all the corals were fine which was surprising. I didn't even lose color off of my sps they just didn't grow because they need calcium and alk to grow.  You should be able to maintain with water changes. Mag tends to be more stable and would imagine its still at 1400. The corals don't really use much and it's mainly just to add stability.

That should be just fine for softies. I had an alk of 5 for a long time and all the corals were fine which was surprising. I didn't even lose color off of my sps they just didn't grow because they need calcium and alk to grow.  You should be able to maintain with water changes. Mag tends to be more stable and would imagine its still at 1400. The corals don't really use much and it's mainly just to add stability.

Kim, on a 120, how much of a water change would be necessary to maintain numbers?

2 minutes ago, Lovesalt said:

20 gallons every 2 weeks

I was doing 5 gallons weekly on a 60 gallon tank. I prefer to do weekly as I'm just better with a routine. I have found roughly ten percent weekly seems to be the sweet spot for me but I know others get by with less.

• Like 1