Gyre Pump Considerations

Jeremevans

I am looking at the available Gyre Pumps on the market and I'm not sure how to size the right one (or two?) and whether I should consider different brands...

Q1: What size or model should be used in a 200g tank (48x36x27) with mostly SPS? It seems that sizing by GPH is not necessary the right way...and maybe placement and orientation are important.

Q2: Should I use one large Gyre or two smaller ones? Assume no budget worries and tell me why I need 10 if there is a good case.

Q3: It looks like Maxspect is the most common and appears to be of high quality. Are there others worth considering?

Q4: Should I connect the Gyre(s) to my Apex controller (or is it even possible)?

Q5: It seems like Gyres are great, but should I really be thinking about replacing flow equipment with these or should these just be add-ons?

I ran 2 130s (smaller ones) on my 48x24x12 serup and it had a ton of flow. I would recommend the larger ones for your tank just so you're not maxing them out. You can run them through your apex if you want, you will need the adapters to do it. Honestly I didn't care and just them one on each side with the flow crashing into each other. I definitely would stick with the Maxspect ones.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm running two 230s in my 90g, 100% forward /80% reverse opposing each other for 10 seconds each. Very happy with them. And the controller is pretty impressive, so can't say I'd recommend going through the trouble of hooking into apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 130's in my 180. I started with a 150 and it was hard on my sand bed, that and my tank is apparently a snail farm. The snails would get in and destroy the 150s propellers. I upgraded to the new harder props (which i believe they all come with now) and the size between the props is the same size as the slots the water flows through so the snails would jam up the 150, where with the 130 the props are further apart so of a snail gets in, it just eventually gets launched back out. I haven't seen any new ones other than the 130 and 150.

11 hours ago, dayze9 said:

I have 2 130's in my 180. I started with a 150 and it was hard on my sand bed, that and my tank is apparently a snail farm. The snails would get in and destroy the 150s propellers. I upgraded to the new harder props (which i believe they all come with now) and the size between the props is the same size as the slots the water flows through so the snails would jam up the 150, where with the 130 the props are further apart so of a snail gets in, it just eventually gets launched back out. I haven't seen any new ones other than the 130 and 150.

I had not thought about snails getting caught in them. I suppose there is a case for only having larger snails... or using more of the smaller Gyres.

I'm thinking that two would be the way to go and I am thinking about mounting them vertically in the corners. I had not thought much about the sand bed being disturbed. I use a coarse sand bed so maybe that would be okay--it is more like fine aragonite gravel than sand.

Edited by Jeremevans

2 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

I had not thought about snails getting caught in them. I suppose there is a case for only having larger snails... or using more of the smaller Gyres.

I'm thinking that two would be the way to go and I am thinking about mounting them vertically in the corners. I had not thought much about the sand bed being disturbed. I use a coarse sand bed so maybe that would be okay--it is more like fine aragonite gravel than sand.

I have a really coarse black sand bed and it had no problem turning it into dunes.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2017 at 6:02 PM, jadams7 said:

I recently bought the icecap 3k gyre and have nothing but good things to say so far. Only a couple weeks in, but so far so good! 

Are you still happy with the Icecap?  I am considering it.

54 minutes ago, ninkylou said:

Are you still happy with the Icecap?  I am considering it.

So far so good still. Love the controller and ease of the setup. It alone is a little bit undersized to fully work all the way around my 48"x30" footprint at the moment, but I'm only ramping it to 70%. Right now that along with a rw15 (that I have kick on a couple hours per day) is all I'm running and don't have much as far as dead spots go. Well worth the price IMO.

12 hours ago, jadams7 said:

So far so good still. Love the controller and ease of the setup. It alone is a little bit undersized to fully work all the way around my 48"x30" footprint at the moment, but I'm only ramping it to 70%. Right now that along with a rw15 (that I have kick on a couple hours per day) is all I'm running and don't have much as far as dead spots go. Well worth the price IMO.

How is the sound/noise level at 70% ?

7 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

How is the sound/noise level at 70% ?

I can hear it if I stick my ear right up to the tank, but the fan on my t5's and return pump are quite a bit louder. Most other power heads I have ran are more noticeable. 

I love my Maxspect 250 on my 8X4X2 240 gallon.   I only have it on 50% right now.  I took off my Reeflo Barracuda closed loop.   So much more flow with the Gyre.  I am going to slowly ramp up the flow from here.  I am amazed how it keeps the circular flow on an 8 foot tank.  I may add a second 250 in the lower opposite corner for a more even flow.  I don't miss my closed loop.   The power savings is incredible.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Purchased an Icecap 3k about 2 months ago and I'm loving it! Researched both Maxspect and Icecap but went with Icecap bcuz, I personally didn't need all the extra features Maxspect had to offer. My system is quite basic. Nothing high-tech at all. Only high-tech equipment I had prior to the Icecap was my Reefi lights from Daniel. So, now I have 2 high-tech pieces of equipment, haha. Gyres are awesome for finding those dead spots and kicking up all the detritus into the water column. I run mine at 30% and that's enough! Contemplating on purchasing another Icecap for my frag tank. That would be 2 Icecaps for the price of 1 Maxspect.

Sent from my man cave while drinking Coors light! [emoji481]

• Like 1