New to Saltwater, starting 90 gal

A777flygirl

On 4/27/2017 at 9:18 AM, A777flygirl said:

Progress seems to move at a snails pace.   :)

The floor structure supporting the tank became a question and soooo a little footing was in order.  

I haven't seen much discussion on house support structure on any forums which seems strange especially given there are so many people with much bigger tanks than mine.

Attach a pic of the new reinforcement. 

20170426_185737.jpg

I put my tank in an odd spot and after it was filled walking near the tank would shake the tank. Had to crawl under the house and support as well.  Didn't think my 45 gallon would put that type of strain on the floor. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Manderian Goby is fat and happy even though I don't have much live rock. But I have a refugium full of copepods that constantly resupplies my DT, and I got her eating some frozen cyclops here and there when I feed my anthias and chromises.

a6b2b343ea3888e7baa31fb8ab9852a5.jpg

9ddb9e777cfa66cbf1e174f446efad49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A777flygirl said:

I am wondering if someone can tell me how much evaporation to expect with the 90 gal tank on the west side of mountains by puget sound ..seems we have 90+ humidity....is evaporafion as much as on the east side?

If your ambient humidity is very high, the rate of evaporation from your tank will be lower than if you had lower ambient humidity.

• Like 1

I am wondering if someone can tell me how much evaporation to expect with the 90 gal tank on the west side of mountains by puget sound ..seems we have 90+ humidity....is evaporafion as much as on the east side?

House humidity will play a factor, as well as temperature. The amount of air flow around the tank surface will pay a huge role. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like your tank is taller than a regular 90. The taller tank will have less surface area which I imagine would reduce evaporation rates. All that being said, your rate will vary, but it won't be a huge issue seeing as though you have a RODI unit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Higher Thinking said:

House humidity will play a factor, as well as temperature. The amount of air flow around the tank surface will pay a huge role. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like your tank is taller than a regular 90. The taller tank will have less surface area which I imagine would reduce evaporation rates. All that being said, your rate will vary, but it won't be a huge issue seeing as though you have a RODI unit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

As mentioned here, lots of factors involved including ambient humidity, surface area, surface agitation, airflow, whether or one you are running heat in the house and what type. My 120 isn't covered and has a significant sump volume and uses around a couple gallons a day on average. 

3 minutes ago, A777flygirl said:

I am wondering about an auto top off system and how big of reservoir I would need for the 90 gallon tank?

I really appreciate the experienced advice!

Generally speaking I would recommend as large a one as you can accommodate. As it will make your life easier in the long run. Either that or route you RODI directly then you don't have to worry about filling a resivoir. The down side of that is the flood potential if your float valve (or switch) fails on. Rundundant controls are your answer there. Good luck. 

• Like 1