WTB 4x4 or 3x3 Square Tank

Jeremevans

I'm looking to set up a bigger tank and I like the look of the square tanks for viewing on multiple sides.

Anyone out there looking to sell a tank or have a recommendation on where to order one?

I'm looking for glass only.

A 4x4x2 footprint (240g) would be ideal although I could go a little smaller depending on what might be available used.

4 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

I'm looking to set up a bigger tank and I like the look of the square tanks for viewing on multiple sides.

Anyone out there looking to sell a tank or have a recommendation on where to order one?

I'm looking for glass only.

A 4x4x2 footprint (240g) would be ideal although I could go a little smaller depending on what might be available used.

Message Frank not sure if he sold his or not......I thought he had a brand new 4x4 tank not sure on the height.

13 minutes ago, spectra said:

Message Frank not sure if he sold his or not......I thought he had a brand new 4x4 tank not sure on the height.

I think this sold - seem to recall someone up north posting about setting it up a while back - but worth a shot.  That was a great deal!

I think this sold - seem to recall someone up north posting about setting it up a while back - but worth a shot.  That was a great deal!

I think it was acrylic... I remember seeing the post on it. I'd really like to have glass to avoid dealing with scratches if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Jeremevans said:

I think it was acrylic... I remember seeing the post on it. I'd really like to have glass to avoid dealing with scratches if possible.

Yes - it was indeed acrylic if Spectra and I are thinking of the same one. 

14 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Yes - it was indeed acrylic if Spectra and I are thinking of the same one. 

16 minutes ago, Jeremevans said:

Your gonna have to custom build this im thinking. Lits of acryluc one around but not glass that big

51 minutes ago, Jeremevans said:

Ya. I'm prepared for that. I figured it was worth asking jut in case someone had one local since shipping is going to be a consideration.

Any recommendations on a custom builder?

Ocean by design in Seattle has good reviews.

Seattle is not that far from us. I had my custom acrylic build out of Seattle.

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

you could always buy two 75 gallon glass aquariums, take then apart and glue them back together on a plywood base. 4x4x2 tank.. $300 all in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And when that falls apart it will be tough to explain it to my wife...

She actually has a fear of tanks exploding. When she was a kid her friends dad had a big tank that shattered for no apparent reason as she tells the story. So, she has been asking lots of questions about how you can be sure a tank will not explode. 

The flip side is that she wants glass probably even more than me for clarity and scratch resistance.

well if your wife is worried about a tank exploding I would steer more towards acrylic. It is many x stronger than glass. I'm not trying to convince you of acrylic over glass but if strength is the number one concern.. then acrylic is where you should be looking. There are reasons that huge glass tanks are hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On April 10, 2017 at 8:10 PM, TheClark said:

Remember Roy's tank at the last meeting?  Long lasting scratch free acrylic is possible...

I hear ya though, scratches stink...  Otherwise I prefer acrylic given all other things equal.

Yep.

wonder if it would be possible to coat acrylic with something that would make it scratch resistant without compromising its view quality...

hmmm, I'll be right back

As luck would have it Mr. Brett was looking to offload a 48x36x24 glass tank so I decided this was close enough to what I wanted.

Stay tuned for the build thread as I reinforce my floor, build a new stand, plumb a sump to the garage (probably) and more...

• Like 2