New Store opening

defigart

Correct Brandon. I did talk to him about the club but he didn't seem real interested. I got the feeling that he was a little overwhelmed trying to get the store going.I don't want to go to far here but there didn't seem to be alot of knowledge on the saltwater side. Very nice guy and I am going to try to help him out as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
im not sure if it needs to be said or not but i dont think the pie is big enouph to feed everyone already' date=' then you add another mouth, someones gona starve and it wont be the big boys on the block ( upscales, waves, sotas, ect.)[/quote']

Yeah it is just insane how many stores you have around here...I mean I have not been to alot places but from what I hear is that we have a ton of stores for our size of market, and they are great stores at to boot...Not sure how everyone is going to survive....

Yeah it is just insane how many stores you have around here...I mean I have not been to alot places but from what I hear is that we have a ton of stores for our size of market' date=' and they are great stores at to boot...Not sure how everyone is going to survive....[/quote']

We all keep buying from them. This will help us keep our stores. If you like your lfs then go out of your way to spend the money there. I myself dont mind spending as much as 50% more for something bought from a local lfs as oposed to buying online. Keep in mind that they are small bussiness and this is not a easy thing to be successful at. They all need to pay their bills and employ many people who pay their bills and feed their children. I say go to the new guy and if he seems honest and sincere and not trying to retire this year from your purchases then buy some of his stuff....even if its a little more expensive then the established guy across town. Then next year he will still be here and will remember you helping his new bussiness get started. Tell him what you need in his store. If he needs more fish or different brands of salt then tell him what you want then buy it from him if he has it next time your in. Beats the heck out of Petco here in Vancouver.

BTW where is this new store in Vancouver? The craigslist add posted here is expired and Icant see it.

Jay

i never intended in any way that i spend my money online or endorse anyone spending money online actualy ive stated many times that very same thing abought buying local and supporting the LFS but in the portland metro area the market just isnt big enouph to support all the new fish stores that have opened up the last couple years

i never intended in any way that i spend my money online or endorse anyone spending money online actualy ive stated many times that very same thing abought buying local and supporting the LFS but in the portland metro area the market just isnt big enouph to support all the new fish stores that have opened up the last couple years

I am in the same boat as reef165... I am wishing no ill will on any store, just saying that I am surprised we are able to support so many stores...and I am very thankful for all the ones that are here...

I would be willing to say that the people that post on this board represent a small highly specialized portion of the actual market that most of the stores that you mentioned are targeting and a store can make far more money getting new customers started in the hobby and creating a customer base than trying to skim customers off of existing businesses. There are plenty of people in the Portland area to support a huge amount of stores it is the cost of living that is the problem. I came from Oklahoma City which is just slightly larger than the Eugene/Springfield area and currently supports 6 petsmarts, 2 petcos, and around 12 independent fish only shops so it just comes down to how many people have the disposable income to spend and creating those people that don't have aquariums but want them into customers.