let store live rock.. yeah or nah

pdxmonkeyboy

so I need some live rock to seed my new frag rank set up. total water volume with sump is around 90 gallon.

I stopped by Broadway pets to buy some crickets for my son's gecco and they have live rock in their sump for $2 a pound.

Thing is... they are not exactly a stunning aquarium store. One step above petco in my mind. What do you think the risk of inheriting tons of unwanted hitch hikers is? Also.. how long does it really take live rock to become full loaded with bacteria? It's like 2-3 weeks for freshwater but I see marine rock times that are all over the place.

Thought or suggestions??

thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is no way to just assume whether a given system would contain unwanted pests. Truthfully, I've seen tanks that look horrible as far as aesthetics, but they have no pests and I've seen amazing tanks that have some nasty undesirables.  In all honesty, your odds are about as good as getting rocks from any hobbyist. I'd trust the local shops that are sponsors here as they have a proven track record, but other than that it's always Russian roulette. 

And live rock that is completely seeded can take over 6 months.  You can seed it with beneficial bacteria for the nitrogen cycle in a few weeks, but the denitrifying bacteria takes much longer to develop.  Personally, I'd start with dry rock and not worry about it.  If you're in the right frame of mind you should plan to have a system set up for many years. If that's true, what's a couple extra months?

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 2

Yep start fresh and be done with it. You will get pest though no matter what happens.......I started all my tanks with dry rock and still get bristle worms an aptasia here and there but  that's about it.

I started my big tank with 40lbs of pukani. Cleaned and then sat in a garbage can for almost 4 months with a skimmer, pumps and a heater. Changed out the water once a month and also added bacteria to it after a month or so. Tossed it in my new tank with live sand and at 6 months the stuff looks great.

34 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yep start fresh and be done with it. You will get pest though no matter what happens.......I started all my tanks with dry rock and still get bristle worms an aptasia here and there but  that's about it.

I started my big tank with 40lbs of pukani. Cleaned and then sat in a garbage can for almost 4 months with a skimmer, pumps and a heater. Changed out the water once a month and also added bacteria to it after a month or so. Tossed it in my new tank with live sand and at 6 months the stuff looks great.

That's awesome, I need to get my build going, will be using this approach.  Been dreading the new rock but always nice to hear of success stories.  New tank syndrome... ugh!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheClark said:

That's awesome, I need to get my build going, will be using this approach.  Been dreading the new rock but always nice to hear of success stories.  New tank syndrome... ugh!

I thought you already did Pukani once?