Pajama Cardinals Spawned

TheClark

The male is carrying a mouthful of eggs (guy on the right).

He doesn't eat and has the bulging mouth, classic signs of the mouthbrooder at work.

I am familiar with Bangai Cardinals doing this and even raised some a while back to a decent size.  

Pajama cardinals were news to me.

No plans to raise them this time around, as long as the kids do not hear about it!

IMG_0256.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, LadAShark said:

Now if you did plan on raising them, I'd love to have one or two or four ;P

Perhaps some day here.  I heard these guys are smaller and need rotifers.  Sounds like a full time job just raising the food!

7 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I have 6 of them which spawn frequently. I never get to see the males release the babies. They probably do it in the dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cool, I was wondering how common it was.  Did some minor googling read some stories about it.  Crazy fishies in love :love_heart:

1 hour ago, LadAShark said:

Nah, rotifiers aren't that hard to raise.

Probably true, have any favorite rotifer articles to point me to?

My todo list is way bigger than my available time sadly... But one of these days right?

6 hours ago, TheClark said:

Probably true, have any favorite rotifer articles to point me to?

My todo list is way bigger than my available time sadly... But one of these days right?

http://reedmariculture.com/support_rotifers_culturing.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/breeder

When cultivating rotifers, it's important to control ammonia. By directly interfering with ammonia, you can get a huge amount of rotifers that would normally not be possible due to the insane bioload.

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1

Just now, Tanuki said:

I had convict cichlids spawn years ago.  It was neat to see them when I had no idea I even had a mated pair living together. 

Spawning convicts are what lured me into the hobby.  It was so sad after I started raising them though.  At that time there was not much of a market and the fry ended up going for (very tough) feeders!.

Love how the parents take care of the babies, sooooo cool!

• Like 1

Just now, TheClark said:

Spawning convicts are what lured me into the hobby.  It was so sad after I started raising them though.  At that time there was not much of a market and the fry ended up going for (very tough) feeders!.

I mean, I understand why people didn't like cichlids. At a glance they aren't the prettiest fish...

Just now, LadAShark said:

I mean, I understand why people didn't like cichlids. At a glance they aren't the prettiest fish...

Nothing compares to Marine fish right?  I was fond of the mama with her orange belly and daddy had the nice long fins. 

8 minutes ago, TheClark said:

No one wanted mine either lol. I think the pet store gave me like $10 for 40 of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

That was how I felt about it too, but at the time I was 15 yrs old, and I had one pet store I could take them to (that my mom would drive me to lol).  They had to go!  

So at the mercy of our parents, LOL.  I remember taking my Wattley's turquoise discus spawning pair into the LFS in a fish bowl.  It was a big bowl, they barely fit.  Needless to say they were pretty surprised at the store.

21 minutes ago, TheClark said:

So at the mercy of our parents, LOL.  I remember taking my Wattley's turquoise discus spawning pair into the LFS in a fish bowl.  It was a big bowl, they barely fit.  Needless to say they were pretty surprised at the store.

Well when I found out mine were going at .40 a pop, they were dropped off in a milk jug lol.