new tank ?

wegotjs

My (glass)tank foot print is 36x24 should I put a brace down the middle of the stand to support the middle of the tank. What would be a good base for under the tank. 5/8 plywood ? + 1/4 styrofoam pad?. What are you guy's using? just trying to get some idea's of what to buy.

The stand that came with that tank had a covered top but like said before the corners are the biggest part. Look at it this way the corner of your tank is drilled for the overflow so where is the stability in that. Also most of the plastic corner trim keeps the bottom glass from touching anything. I knwo the stand that I built for my sons 29 has just the corners supported. If I was to build a stand for the tank you have I would just support the edges only. That way you can easily plumb it and get to it real easy. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

10g guppy tanks are a little different than 70g reefs. There is a lot more weight in a reef tank. Salt water is more dense than fresh, rocks are more dense, etc.

However, that tank has really thick glass, even compared to my 75g AGA. Supporting just the plastic trim should be fine. Maybe have more cross braces in the stand to help support the weight.

Also, I would be worried about the salt water + metal = rust factor. I know you are going to have it powder coated, but one scratch in the coating, and you are in for some rust... I think you should protect the metal from scratching as much as possible. I think the wood top is a good idea.

dsoz

I know the tank he has it was mine for a short while before I traded it to Joel. And as for the glass yes it is thick and should be fine. I was just using the guppy tank as a referance to using metal for a frame. I know they are not the same. I even had bigger tanks on metal stands back in the 70s that is what was available. And if worried about rust because it will happen even if it is powder coated I would run a strip of wood on top of the stand. And yes a brace through the center would not hurt even my sons 29 has a center brace in the stand.