Just lost a ton of montiporas and chalices...

LadAShark

Purchased a full setup 120 gallon tank with montiporas, acroporas, several softies, and some chalices and zoas on Monday. Was planning to get it setup by Wednesday, annnd proceeded to come down with the flu. It's Monday and the tank is still not set up. Have hopefully saved some acroporas and softies, but definitely lost all my montiporas (several square feet of them!) and all my chalices and zoas (which just melted away!).

Now I'm ultra sad. Didn't think I was going to need someone to look after my corals, now I've got the remaining survivors safe and sound but, as mentioned, super sad because lost most if not potentially everything. 

Will post some depressing pictures of dying corals later. 

Just wanted to rant a little.

I'm wondering if montiporas covered in a layer of slimy rot still have a chance of surviving? I highly doubt it, but, would be nice if there was a way to save them.

I am hoping at least my softies and the acroporas survive, but I seriously am losing hope.

@Zoolander I have fragged as much as I can, but it's sort of hazy what's too far gona to frag and attempt to rescue.

I would say don't keep the slimy rotting corals in with other corals. When I had a big crash and found myself clinging to near-dead corals, just hoping they would turn around, all they did was pollute the water and make it much more difficult to get off to a new start with the few that did survive. I had problems with fish getting bacterial diseases, corals that struggled for months... it wasn't good. I look back and think I should've thrown out, or at least separated, the rotting corals. I was sick with the flu at the time of the crash and in the middle of an upgrade, so it all sounds too familiar. I'm sorry you're going through it, but the best thing is to get the corals that look their best into a healthy, clean tank, away from dying/rotting corals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

I would say don't keep the slimy rotting corals in with other corals. When I had a big crash and found myself clinging to near-dead corals, just hoping they would turn around, all they did was pollute the water and make it much more difficult to get off to a new start with the few that did survive. I had problems with fish getting bacterial diseases, corals that struggled for months... it wasn't good. I look back and think I should've thrown out, or at least separated, the rotting corals. I was sick with the flu at the time of the crash and in the middle of an upgrade, so it all sounds too familiar. I'm sorry you're going through it, but the best thing is to get the corals that look their best into a healthy, clean tank, away from dying/rotting corals. 

Also, I think if you come across any corals you want to keep. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some activated carbon. It sounds like the the water has been sitting stagnant for a while.

I was curious, what were you storing your corals in? There are some things you can do to mediate them for quite a while. From a glance, I wasn't sure if they still were at their house, in buckets or what?

• Like 1

On March 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM, milesmiles902 said:

Also, I think if you come across any corals you want to keep. It wouldn't hurt to throw in some activated carbon. It sounds like the the water has been sitting stagnant for a while.

I was curious, what were you storing your corals in? There are some things you can do to mediate them for quite a while. From a glance, I wasn't sure if they still were at their house, in buckets or what?

I was keeping them in the original water of the tank I got. I brought them all home, kept them with their original lighting, albeit in a somewhat cooler environment, but in stagnant water (big mistakes I know, but expected to set it back up in 2 days, not a week!). Looking back on it, I realized that this wasn't just rot. When we were dismantling the guys tank I noticed a small piece of broken montipora that we threw away had brown jelly stuff on it. I accidentally facilitated a disease outbreak by stressing out the corals. I've been reading and pretty much read that brown jelly is the fastest disease you can lose a tank full of coral to. 

At this rate, I'm gonna start anew. I will cure the guy's live rock, hope some of the acropora survives (99% chance it won't), bake all of the sand at 550 degrees, and start anew.

If I can speed up the cycling well enough I might be able to make it to the April 15 meeting to pick up some nice corals to restart the tank. I'm thinking sps and softies only as I intend to keep some angels. 

I guess this stuff happens every now and then :(

Oh, and on the other hand, I'm gonna be in need of some macroalgae, if anybody has some they can share. If not I'll just have to buy some.

There's plenty of algae given away on here so you shouldn't have an issue there. You may also see if somebody can try and save your acros in their own water. 

Once your tank is cycled I have a couple of SPS frags I can give you to help with the restart. 

27 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

There's plenty of algae given away on here so you shouldn't have an issue there. You may also see if somebody can try and save your acros in their own water. 

Once your tank is cycled I have a couple of SPS frags I can give you to help with the restart. 

I will make sure to look around for the algae. Also, thanks a bunch for all the support! As you can see, I've been losing a lot of sleep over this.

• Like 1