OLD Par Meter Booking Thread

Flashy Fins

11 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Trailermann here will be happy with whichever is available.  C and C is handy for me. Remind me please how I pay the deposit.

You can either send the deposit via paypal ahead of time or in cash when we meet up. Deposit is refunded whichever way you paid. I'll PM you the paypal info.

I'm picking up the USB meter from the current borrower Thursday night, so that'll be the one. We can meet on Friday or sometime this weekend at Cuttlefish; my schedule is flexible, so just name whatever day/time works best. Be sure to check out this page for the software you'll need to download. 

42 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Friday late morning works well for me, but like you, I am flexible.  Let me know what works for you. 

Looks like Cuttlefish opens at noon on Friday. If that's good with you, it's a plan. 

This "user" has finish up, so the USB unit can go back in the pool.  Meet up again at C&C?  

Let me report on my experience.  I got off to a very bad start because of fouling up the app download.  Don't ask how that can happen.  Murphy's Law.  Then I was confused with PAR/PPFD because my numbers were so low.  Then I took about 50 measurements that made little sense.  Finally, just before I gave up, it all became clear.  Now I know how fickle the lighting is in a REAL tank.  I knew that water depth was a big factor.  But I did not know that live rock shapes, power heads, livestock, etc all make such a huge difference.  There is great variance from inch to inch throughout the tank.   There are many sections near the sand that have much more light than others closer to the top.

Thanks to the Club's PAR meter, and the eight hours I spent working with it, I now hopefully understand why people say to carefully watch your new corals and move them around until that happy spot is found.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

This "user" has finish up, so the USB unit can go back in the pool.  Meet up again at C&C?  

Let me report on my experience.  I got off to a very bad start because of fouling up the app download.  Don't ask how that can happen.  Murphy's Law.  Then I was confused with PAR/PPFD because my numbers were so low.  Then I took about 50 measurements that made little sense.  Finally, just before I gave up, it all became clear.  Now I know how fickle the lighting is in a REAL tank.  I knew that water depth was a big factor.  But I did not know that live rock shapes, power heads, livestock, etc all make such a huge difference.  There is great variance from inch to inch throughout the tank.   There are many sections near the sand that have much more light than others closer to the top.

Thanks to the Club's PAR meter, and the eight hours I spent working with it, I now hopefully understand why people say to carefully watch your new corals and move them around until that happy spot is found.

Thanks for the update. I believe I'm next in line for the USB so to save Cherany some travel time I can meet up with you directly or I can get it from you this weekend if you are going to the meeting.

41 minutes ago, Trailermann said:

Glad to hear you were finally able to make some sense of it.  Yeah, I also did a pretty systematic scan of the tank trying to take such variations into account.  Definitely tricky. This is one reason that the "heat maps" you see displayed for lighting reviews are done in empty tanks!  

5 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

So glad you were able to make sense of it, @Trailermann!  Next in line for the USB meter is @Emerald525, our club president. You guys meeting up would be great. Paul's deposit was paid in cash, so if you can pass it back that way, Kim, I'll return the $50 to you at the meeting on Saturday. 

Okay that works for me. Pm coming your way trailerman.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boro56 said:

Good evening, can I get added to the list please?

Thank You....

Yep!  Added you to the wait list. :thumbs:

@Vance164 - almost your turn!  I see you requested the older handheld meter, which should be returned to me this week. I'll PM you to schedule meeting up once I have it back.

@Willapa, did you wish to borrow the USB meter or the handheld?  If you prefer the USB, you're in luck. That one is available now. 

1 hour ago, Flashy Fins said:

Yep!  Added you to the wait list. :thumbs:

@Vance164 - almost your turn!  I see you requested the older handheld meter, which should be returned to me this week. I'll PM you to schedule meeting up once I have it back.

@Willapa, did you wish to borrow the USB meter or the handheld?  If you prefer the USB, you're in luck. That one is available now. 

Awesome thank you!

[mention=16173]Willapa[/mention], are you out there?  Which meter do you prefer, handheld or USB?  The USB is ready to loan. Handheld has one person ahead of you.
[mention=16179]pdxmonkeyboy[/mention], your turn should be in a couple of weeks. Which one are you interested in?

Oh sorry, fell off the wagon. I have an outdated MacBook so the USB one may be a nightmare plus my computer skills have much to be desired. Put me down for the handheld when it frees up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk