OLD Par Meter Booking Thread

Flashy Fins

2 hours ago, Paratore said:

Go ahead and skip me for now :) I'll borrow it at a later date when I'm not so busy!

No prob!  Just let me know when you want your turn. :)

2 hours ago, milesmiles902 said:

Can I get on the list?

Added. :thumbs:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flashy Fins said:

@albertareef, how 'bout it?  You went from 4th on the list to the top in short order. From chromis to shark, just like that!  Which meter would you like to borrow, and when/where would you like to meet up? 

Hi Cherany - I was actually just trying to download and install the software for the USB version of the meter.  Turns out the link on the BSR page is out of date so I went to the manufacture's site and got the current version. Of course, after downloading and trying to start it, it errored out on me. Looks like it should start even without the probe connected so sounds like I may have a software glitch.  There was some question as to whether it would work on older versions of OSX so that may be a fatal flaw in my case. Do you mind if I look into it a bit tomorrow before deciding?  I would like to take advantage of the full spectrum probe if possible.  Thanks!

Edited by albertareef

10 minutes ago, albertareef said:

... Do you mind if I look into it a bit tomorrow before deciding?  I would like to take advantage of the full spectrum probe if possible.

You've got 5 minutes to decide!  Get your shoes on and let's go!  :wife:

Just kidding! I don't have kids to yell that sort of thing at, so I thought I'd try it out here. :joking:  You can certainly have a few days to sort this out before borrowing.

@TheClark is a cool software dude (that's his official title; I saw his business card!) who might be able to help out with the software issue. Better than I can advise, I'm sure.

I'll update the main post in this thread with the manufacturer's software link. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

You've got 5 minutes to decide!  Get your shoes on and let's go!  :wife:

Just kidding! I don't have kids to yell that sort of thing at, so I thought I'd try it out here. :joking:  You can certainly have a few days to sort this out before borrowing.

@TheClark is a cool software dude (that's his official title; I saw his business card!) who might be able to help out with the software issue. Better than I can advise, I'm sure.

I'll update the main post in this thread with the manufacturer's software link. 

Yikes!  And I just took my shoes off? I actually communicated with the Apogee tech support before we got this unit to try and get some specifics on OS version requirements and they were a bit fuzzy on the Mac side so this isn't too surprising. I may be able to get ahold of another laptop tomorrow with a slightly newer version of OSX to test it out. Windows support was pretty broad according to them. 

Edited by albertareef

22 minutes ago, TheClark said:

I have the USB par meter.  Roy, JR and I split the cost together.

It was tricky last time I used it, needed firmware updates.  Here is where we picked ours installer software up, but keep in mind this was for windows...

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/downloads/

Thanks for the info Jeremy. if I can't get the MacBook to work I may try to dig up a windows box instead. May ping you if I struggle. 

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

Thanks for the info Jeremy. if I can't get the MacBook to work I may try to dig up a windows box instead. May ping you if I struggle. 

For sure, no problem.  I had to update the firmware before the new software would work.  Just read the directions carefully, thought I bricked ours but it turned out ok!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheClark said:

For sure, no problem.  I had to update the firmware before the new software would work.  Just read the directions carefully, thought I bricked ours but it turned out ok!

Haha!  That isn't exactly reassuring if the tech guy thinks he might have bricked his machine in the process!  Hopefully I can get it working in a less stressful manner.

Thought it might be worth reposting the information I received directly from the Apogee tech support team regarding the operating system requirements for using the USB meter (i.e. installing their software controller).  This may help folk decide which of the instruments might work for them.  Cherany - not sure if we want to add this to your intro for visibility.

Apogee Instruments tech support verified the OS version support I posted above (win XP-10, Mac 10.10 and above) but also offered to help out if someone ran into compatibility issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

Thought it might be worth reposting the information I received directly from the Apogee tech support team regarding the operating system requirements for using the USB meter (i.e. installing their software controller).  This may help folk decide which of the instruments might work for them.  Cherany - not sure if we want to add this to your intro for visibility.

Apogee Instruments tech support verified the OS version support I posted above (win XP-10, Mac 10.10 and above) but also offered to help out if someone ran into compatibility issues.

Thanks for passing that on. I added the relevant info to the intro post. 

3 hours ago, Polythene Pam said:

We'd like to get on the list too please!

I added you to the list, but you will need to be a paid supporting member of the club to borrow a par meter. Here is the link for signing up. :)

17 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

@albertareef, how 'bout it?  You went from 4th on the list to the top in short order. From chromis to shark, just like that!  Which meter would you like to borrow, and when/where would you like to meet up? 

OK - found a macbook running 10.5 and was able to install and open the Apogee Connect application so I think the USB will work.  You planning to be at any of the PDX stores this weekend?  I'm sure you could use another fancy urchin or two!  Seahorse is really close to me and C&C isn't too far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polythene Pam said:

Grassi and I are under a paid family membership already emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's lying Cherany don't listen to her....:nono: 

Just kidding... :) I will make sure you are added as a supporting member Jamie .Grassi is already on there.. Does he not want to share...?:nooo:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grassi said:

I asked the par meter way before my better half. I'm still waiting for it. I thought it was under repair?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We have two Alex. Smann donated his when he heard one went swimming and then we also got the USB model. 

1 hour ago, grassi said:

I asked the par meter way before my better half. I'm still waiting for it. I thought it was under repair?

Check out the first post in this thread. There's an updated waiting list, where you can see you're almost there! :)

Since I appear to be the first user of the new USB meter, I thought I would post a quick update.  This is really simple to use once you get the software downloaded and installed but be aware that the Mac OS requirements are pretty tight. I was able to get it to run on OSX 10.5 no problem but failed on some earlier versions. Other than that, however, just start the app, plug in the sensor which will auto-detect and you are good to go!  The sensor has an ample cord attached so you should be able to put your computer/laptop at a safe distance from the tank while working.  The sensor holder (stick) has sections that screw together so you can make it long enough for a deep tank and the mounting head tilts so you can get just the right angle for difficult spots. It also has a couple of velcro bands to help keep the cable out of the way when in the tank.  Did a series of readings across the length of the tank and at different depths both with full light and blues only (out of curiosity) pretty quickly.  Based on the differences between blue only and full spectrum, it seems like the sensor is, indeed, pretty responsive.

Hope this might help those trying to decide which way to go.

• Like 4