Acan help

Oregonic

I purchased 2 acan frags, a single frogspawn head, and a Jason Fox lepto frag last Friday and all are doing well with the exception of one of the acan frags. The frag thats not doing well had 4 full sized polyps and 2 smaller polyups and they are all shrinking back into the skeleton. 2 of the larger polyups are partially opening in the evening but only half of the polyup. I acclimated them on the sandbed on the side of the tank for 3 days  then moved each up a little higher. The day i moved them up slightly higher the one fell facedown onto the sandbed for a short period of time, less then 2 hours. I cant think of anything else that would have upset it. I have since moved the frag to a lower flow shaded area and it just continues to whither away. At this point the exposed skeleton is white with no flesh over it. The other acan frag has been fully extending since day one and looks plump and happy with the tentacles extended the majority of the time.   I had the same issue with a pair of acan frags I purchased a few months ago, one did great and the other withered away to almost nothing. Thought it was dead but under low attinic light i could see just a spec of color in the center of the skeleton where mouth would be. I spot fed the dead looking acan and over a few weeks it started to slowy grow. It has been a few months and it has grown flesh quite a ways up the skeleton but still not all the way out of the skeleton. Any thoughts or suggestions?  All my water parameters are inline.  

It may just take a long time to recover..my acan has been super healthy and super sick since I have had it. I thought it was a goner multiple times but slowly has recovered and looks better than ever.

I kept having problems because I couldn't find a spot that it liked, and it wasn't secured to something, so it would get moved all the time.

Sent from the bottom of the sea.

I had an acan get stung by my torch coral. It kept slowly receding from the original dead spot.

I took gel superglue and made a barrier between the healthy part and the dying flesh. It died right up to the glue, but everything in the other side was fine. It has since regrown over the glue and the dead skeleton. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I have dipped them 3 times now over the last few weeks.  No change still not extending but they dont look any worse.  I will continue to spot feed every 2-3 days and keep my fingers crossed.  Acans hate me lol.

6 hours ago, Oregonic said:

Just a quick update, I have dipped them 3 times now over the last few weeks.  No change still not extending but they dont look any worse.  I will continue to spot feed every 2-3 days and keep my fingers crossed.  Acans hate me lol.

Well, at least they aren't getting worse!  Hopefully they will eventually come around now that they seem stabilized. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Of all 4 of my acans i have purchased 1 is doing great. One is very slowly recovering and flesh is beginning to cover the exposed skeleton. Another I believe is dead but late at night under attanic light only i can still see a little color in the center, have my fingers crossed it may spring back but little hope. Then there is one that some days it extends and looks ok and other days it is sunken in the skeleton but still colorful. All other coral  and bta's in tank, except for a green slimer on the mend and slowly coloring back up, are doing great.  All water parameters have been stable for the last 2 months at alk 8.3 - 8.5, cal. 420 - 430, salinity 1.025 - 1.026, phosphate .02 - .04, nitrates 5 - 10, and no ammonia or nitrites detectable. I have seen the best recovery with the acans with spot feeding gonipower and reef frenzy every 3 - 4 days. 

• Like 2